4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

nitrous question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:19 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

Default nitrous question?

i was searching around but i couldnt find the answer....maybe you guys can help out.....I have an 04 GT and am possibly interested in getting a nitrous kit from like say nitrous express....but what i would need to know is how much of a shot of nitrous can a stock 4.6 2v (that is stock internals)....how high can you go and how high should you go to be safe....and i understand that SCT can set up a tune that will allow up to a 100 shot of Nitrous....is that a good enough tune. Please tell me everything I need to know that is important so I dont blow the motor.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: nitrous question?

tops I would and did go is 100 shot. After that, you are getting iffy. I would def. get a good dyno tune for any nitrous though. I have an SCT chip that was dyno tuned and am fine so far.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:24 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Most people say that 125 shot is the most you can go some say 150. I woundnt recommend anything over 100. Id even say 75 would be fine.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 PM
97 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

100 will be fine if you have a tune to retard your timing a bit. I ran a 100 shot on a stock motor with out a tune and had no problems but I dont recommend doing that... you may not be as lucky
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I've been running a nx 100 shot for over 2 months now, I just took alot of the timing out for safety for now. Once I get a dyno tune I might consider upping the jets to 125. A 100 shot is fine on our motors, just be careful get all of the safety goodies, I highly suggest Nitrous express as well.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I personally would do a 100 shot, since Im stupid and would use it occasionally on the street. If you are only using it at as a strip thing, then 125 will be fine. Im sure the car could take 150 with a good tune, but I doubt you are looking to get new internals for at least a while. A good tune is necessary for any nitrous set up, and I would go get it dyno'd instead of just simply using a handheld. NX is a good company, and that's what I would probably go with. Timing needs to be retarded with nitrous, so I would get a 4 bank chip or something so I could change the tune on the fly inside the car, so this way you dont lose power from driving around with retarded timing. I don't know if there is another way around that....maybe someone else knows....????....
Old 09-26-2006, 08:32 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

so you guys are saying that a tune from a handheld, such as SCT, is not good?.....because they offer one of those free tunes for nitrous up to 100 shot.............oh yeah also, how much HP/Tq can a stock GT handle?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah......does nitrous express offer everything you need in the kit, including a safety items...and/or purge valve?
Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 PM
MUFFxMAN
I ♥ Acer

i wouldnt recomend having nitrous period... at least if you want your car for a long time... because nitrous causes your engine to heat up way more then it should it will just destroy your engine... its for drag strips, and used in short intervals.. not for evryday use or even ever week use on the streets. just use the money and get something better...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MUFFxMAN

i wouldnt recomend having nitrous period... at least if you want your car for a long time... because nitrous causes your engine to heat up way more then it should it will just destroy your engine... its for drag strips, and used in short intervals.. not for evryday use or even ever week use on the streets. just use the money and get something better...
dude i tottally disagree 100%. nitrous can be veryyy safe. its just people like you and the fast and the furius that mess up the repretation of nitrous. if you know your limits nitrous can be just as good as a supercharger. i mean with a supercharger you cant run alot of boost on your stock bottom end. same with nitrous. its like the max is around 12 psi safely, well in nitrous terms its around a 100 shot safely.

Quick Reply: nitrous question?