4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Here, with a few starter q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 12:53 AM
2002stang

Default New Here, with a few starter q's

Hey, My name is anthony, and Ive had my 02 gt 5spd for a little under a month, and ive already started modding it.

All i have done so far, Is Flowmaster Cat back. I have a few questions, As what to go with for the Mid pipe,

1. Which is better in everyones oppinnion X or H pipe? What brand to go with etc.

2. What did everyone do to Eliminate the MIL light?
3. Last but not least, Whats everyones Opinnion on the Vortech Supercharger?

I plan on getting in the 13s-12s So Whatever it takes. Heres a shot of my car in the driveway stock the day i got it
Old 07-19-2004, 01:23 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: New Here, with a few starter q's

Well first off you need to ditch the "Slowmasters" and get you a set of Magnaflows. The Flowmasters are baffeled which is the educated word for restricted.

Second: The best mid pipe is the X pipe and the better brand names are MAC, BBK, Bassani, Prochamber and a few others. People opinions on this subject are biased according to what they have currently.

You shouldnt get a MIL light unless you have an Off Road Midpipe (offroad meaning NO cats). Since you have no cats your emmisions will be a lot stronger. This will turn your check engine light on, you will need to get a set of MIL eliminators, which can be found on any performance parts site such as WWW.Mustangtuning.COM. These will replace your O2 sensors in the mid pipe and will send a constant message to your computer that the emmisions check out OK, thus turning off your light so if something more important happens the light will reappear so you will know.

Vortech is one of the leading brands of S/C and if you can get on for your stang you will have a beast. Im talking about running side by side with Vettes, if not beating them. You never want to go over 9 psi with stock internals unless you wanna purposly wanna throw a rod.

Welcome to the forums and hope you have a good time.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:26 AM
Mystic_Eats_Rice
1st Gear Member

I agree, ditch the slows if you want performance. Procharger also makes a nice supercharger setup.

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

Well first off you need to ditch the "Slowmasters" and get you a set of Magnaflows. The Flowmasters are baffeled which is the educated word for restricted.

Second: The best mid pipe is the X pipe and the better brand names are MAC, BBK, Bassani, Prochamber and a few others. People opinions on this subject are biased according to what they have currently.

You shouldnt get a MIL light unless you have an Off Road Midpipe (offroad meaning NO cats). Since you have no cats your emmisions will be a lot stronger. This will turn your check engine light on, you will need to get a set of MIL eliminators, which can be found on any performance parts site such as WWW.Mustangtuning.COM. These will replace your O2 sensors in the mid pipe and will send a constant message to your computer that the emmisions check out OK, thus turning off your light so if something more important happens the light will reappear so you will know.

Vortech is one of the leading brands of S/C and if you can get on for your stang you will have a beast. Im talking about running side by side with Vettes, if not beating them. You never want to go over 9 psi with stock internals unless you wanna purposly wanna throw a rod.

Welcome to the forums and hope you have a good time.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:33 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

^^^ uuhhh... what happened there mystic??? ^^^
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

they arent baffeled, they are chambered but i do agree, he needs a magnaflow or slp catback, long tube headers, and off road mid pipe
Old 07-19-2004, 02:36 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

they arent baffeled, they are chambered but i do agree, he needs a magnaflow or slp catback, long tube headers, and off road mid pipe

Yeah, thats right. Baffels are made to silence mufflers. My B!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:06 AM
2002stang

Thanks everyone for the welcome... Much better than the import community.

Is it ok to boost the 4.6 9psi safely? I do commute 50miles to work everyday, so would it be ok if i dont drive it like a nut all the time?

As far as the midpipe, Ive seen several different kinds, Ive seen the bassani on ebay, and the macs for cheaper on ebay. I had never heard of mac but i didnt want to bid on it off ebay not knowing if it was a no name or not.

Ive seen the vortech kit without the powercooler go for 2k on ebay, which i think is fairly decent Considering I could whip up on some cars. I hear everyone phraseing gearing. Could someone Explain what the Pros and cons to the gearing is?

Thanks again
Anthony
Old 07-19-2004, 03:08 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Take a look at a Flowmaster.

It's baffled & chambered.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:22 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2002stang

I hear everyone phraseing gearing. Could someone Explain what the Pros and cons to the gearing is?
Changing gears is refering to the ring and pinion in your rear end to a different ratio.

The pro's behind gearing is that your engine has to work less to achieve a faster take off which is in most cases better gas milage and it puts a lot more torque to the ground. The take off's will be a lot stronger in other words.

The con's are that which ever gear you go with will raise your RPM's a small amount. For instance, right now you have 3.27 rearend and are running about 1900 rpm's at 70mph, if you change the 3.27 to a 4.10 you will be running about 2400 rpms at 70 mph. It isnt bad unless you decide to drive across country. And also you want someone to do it that knows what they are doing or bad damage can be done if not done right.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:42 AM
2002stang

what would a 3.73 look like on the tach? I do have to consider gas mileage and reliability as i drive 50 each way to work.

For racing or preformance driving, What is the best rpm to shift at and Etc, I dont know the sweet spot of the car.

Im seriously, considering eating ramen noodles for a few weeks and getting me a vortech but if I got the supercharger kit for 2grand, Is there anything else that HAS to be required for it to work? Id like to have the sc on, then do other upgrades like feul management and whatnot later down the road.

Quick Reply: New Here, with a few starter q's