4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

about to install gauges

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:47 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: about to install gauges

ya a new **** will go right back on, it'll work out. Thanks for the site. The gauges glow in all spots, they look great, its just that the odometer is blurry. Oh well. I got it all on the first try, all the electical too. Did some extra bolts n stuff to make it nice and connected well.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:57 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

post pics, im thinking about doing this in the near future.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 AM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

post pics, im thinking about doing this in the near future.
+1

how hard is it to actually get into the gauges, just some bolts? i have like this plastic debris sitting inside with my cluster, looks trashy and my plastic cover it all is scratched too!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:03 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

for sure, i'll post up pics in a few days now, I put on some hood stripes too. Its not too difficult at all, you just need a torx tool and a screwdriver. Bad news though, my gauges stopped working. I'm sure the electical is all good, because only the tach and the speedo aren't working in the mornings. Its weird. The morning after install in the way to work, they stopped working. I get in the car to drive back from work, and they start working. Then I go to school, in the morning on the drive they didn't work. Then after school they started working again. I think its because I didn't remove the stock gauge overlay and just slide the new one right over it and it didnt provide enough clearance for the needles. I might need to put some glue to hold them down firmer. Hmm.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:36 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Bro I had the same problem with the tach and speedo sticking. The reason is this: With the overlay on the stock gauges, it makes them thick and the needles stick on the speedo and tach. Just back out the screws that hold the plastic cover over the cluster alot, trust me back them out enough where if you hold your head sideways, you can see the screws NOT pulling down on the overlay.

They wont vibrate out or anything trust me I had to do this with my UPR El Glowing cluster I got from mustangtuning.Plus, in the morning it sticks alot because of the heat in your car and/or from sitting a long time. When they get hot, the overlay expands since its a plastic and if the screws are too tight it doesnt have room to expand horiziontally so it expands laterally upwards and makes the needles stick.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

I just put my gauges in on saturday night, it took me about an hour after wiring them up and everything. The way i did it was to point every needle up towards the top of the gauge and then i slid my overlay over them. I had two people help me with that part. I also suggest cutting out the odomoter part on the new gauge faces with an exacto-knife or razor blade because mine is blurry. But other than that they look sweet!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Steve04GT
2nd Gear Member

Yes I wanna do this upgrade as well. I wanna get the white backing etc.. I plan to do it withing the next few weeks hopefully if I get my nice paycheck bonus

If I do I will try to do a picture walkthrough for it on my 04 gt.

So yea besides hacksawing off your *** how difficult was it for you scale 1-10.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

My gauges. They aren't as bright as they appear here and I can regulate their brightness independently as well.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:39 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

Bro I had the same problem with the tach and speedo sticking. The reason is this: With the overlay on the stock gauges, it makes them thick and the needles stick on the speedo and tach. Just back out the screws that hold the plastic cover over the cluster alot, trust me back them out enough where if you hold your head sideways, you can see the screws NOT pulling down on the overlay.

They wont vibrate out or anything trust me I had to do this with my UPR El Glowing cluster I got from mustangtuning.Plus, in the morning it sticks alot because of the heat in your car and/or from sitting a long time. When they get hot, the overlay expands since its a plastic and if the screws are too tight it doesnt have room to expand horiziontally so it expands laterally upwards and makes the needles stick.
Wes thanks a lot for this advice. I'm not sure what you mean though. I thought tightening the screws will push the over lay down further to allow more clearance??

EDIT: actually I do get it, they expand vertically outward because they cant expand out to the sides.... but they dont rattle or anything? Whats strange is that before I put the plastic and black piece back on, I tested to make sure they had enough clearance and they did... maybe since they are sitting upright it makes it come out more? So it ur problem all fixed now?

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

I just put my gauges in on saturday night, it took me about an hour after wiring them up and everything. The way i did it was to point every needle up towards the top of the gauge and then i slid my overlay over them. I had two people help me with that part. I also suggest cutting out the odomoter part on the new gauge faces with an exacto-knife or razor blade because mine is blurry. But other than that they look sweet!
YES, +1, That blurry odometer kinda annoys me A LOT. Does cutting it out look okay? Can you see the edges where you cut it out? Lemme know.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:44 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve04GT

Yes I wanna do this upgrade as well. I wanna get the white backing etc.. I plan to do it withing the next few weeks hopefully if I get my nice paycheck bonus

If I do I will try to do a picture walkthrough for it on my 04 gt.

So yea besides hacksawing off your *** how difficult was it for you scale 1-10.
well being my first electrical project on the car it was about a 6 for me. I haven't done much work on my car so I have nothing to compare to, but it was of course easy to just unscrew all the stuff. Had an extra set of hands help me slide the overlay over, that was easier than I thought, then the electrical was the most time consuming, having to cut open the power wire to the headlights, solder the connection and insulate it with electrical tape, then drill a hole into the metal bar and put a screw into it through a ring terminal to ground it, and mounting the dimmer/color switch underneath the steering column trim somewhere connected to an existing screw. All the rest was okay though.

Quick Reply: about to install gauges