4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need new tires...Brand

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need new tires...Brand

ORIGINAL: Gar4pt6

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Well first off, you really need to get a set of C/C plates. The install part isn't that bad. Shops usually charge about $80 to align. Just bring atleast 4- 2ft. 2X10's with you to the shop so they can get your car up on the rack without scraping your undercarriage! You'll place the boards where you drive on to make the angle not so harsh, this will give you clearance underneath when your back tire rides on them! Also I have the BF Goodrich G-Force Sports. I bought them from www.TireRack.com They were ranked #5 in their class and are rated for summer temps only! They cost me $312 shipped to my door. $156 each plus shipping. However, they do not make the 285/35/18. I went with the 275/35/18. It's a very nice tire for the price, you can't beat it anywhere for that kinda cost! I went with 245/40/18's up front . The whole set for all four cost me $602. I would definatelt replace your front tires before you get an alignment, also check the insides of the tires and make sure you don't have any wires showing. The sportlines are just too low for the street on the mustangs. You'll never get anywhere close to a perfect alignment, but it will be a drastic improvement over nothing. Your tires must look like theay are diving in towards the engine?..lol I have 1.5 in drop and wasn't able to reack perfect alignment. I used BBK Gripp C/C plates! Hope this helps...Good Luck
i bought like 12' of 2"x6" wood, cut them into 8 even sections, nailed them togeather (4 sets of 2) and cut the best angle i could on one side so i could drive up on them...i couldnt even jack the jack up before i did that!

As for the G-Forces...my dad just ordered them for my mom's Lexus...we put them on this past weekend so ill take that out for a ride a see how they handle. Thanks for the feedback guys
Reason i like them is cause they look so awesome, make sure you let us know how they feel.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rusmisel01GT

ORIGINAL: Gar4pt6

ORIGINAL: 97targa

Well first off, you really need to get a set of C/C plates. The install part isn't that bad. Shops usually charge about $80 to align. Just bring atleast 4- 2ft. 2X10's with you to the shop so they can get your car up on the rack without scraping your undercarriage! You'll place the boards where you drive on to make the angle not so harsh, this will give you clearance underneath when your back tire rides on them! Also I have the BF Goodrich G-Force Sports. I bought them from www.TireRack.com They were ranked #5 in their class and are rated for summer temps only! They cost me $312 shipped to my door. $156 each plus shipping. However, they do not make the 285/35/18. I went with the 275/35/18. It's a very nice tire for the price, you can't beat it anywhere for that kinda cost! I went with 245/40/18's up front . The whole set for all four cost me $602. I would definatelt replace your front tires before you get an alignment, also check the insides of the tires and make sure you don't have any wires showing. The sportlines are just too low for the street on the mustangs. You'll never get anywhere close to a perfect alignment, but it will be a drastic improvement over nothing. Your tires must look like theay are diving in towards the engine?..lol I have 1.5 in drop and wasn't able to reack perfect alignment. I used BBK Gripp C/C plates! Hope this helps...Good Luck
i bought like 12' of 2"x6" wood, cut them into 8 even sections, nailed them togeather (4 sets of 2) and cut the best angle i could on one side so i could drive up on them...i couldnt even jack the jack up before i did that!

As for the G-Forces...my dad just ordered them for my mom's Lexus...we put them on this past weekend so ill take that out for a ride a see how they handle. Thanks for the feedback guys
Reason i like them is cause they look so awesome, make sure you let us know how they feel.
i took my moms car out the other day and they performed just like i expected...she wanted them so that they look good, are a sport/touring tire and mainly because they woule be quiet (she had the BFG G-force Sport last time and they were too noisy) this time i think she got the KDWs. Anyway the car was quietER...not like a touring tire just quieter, hugged the corners real tight and overall had a smooth ride. Good tire IMO...but if you have a stang with exhaust i would go with the G-force sport because you wont be hearing the tire noise.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:14 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Get the c/c plates. As far as tires go, I loved my nitto drag radials and you said you dont have to worry about rain at all. The performance quite well.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 AM
kev2369
3rd Gear Member

Drag radials look damn good on cars. If you want tire life, buy a hard tire, if you want a good looking and good hooking tire, get some drag radials. I have a set of Nitto 555 d/r's and i really like em. They are tough looking on the back on your car. But it all depends on what you are wanting out of your tires
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

I have teh BFG Gforce KDW tires, i like them alot. They seem to handle and perform well. Here is a pic of them

[IMG]local://upfiles/29472/118682DB8D0B41269C1D0BE9EDEBF215.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 AM
BlackPony99
1st Gear Member

Hey whats going on guys, I'm working with my uncle who has an account with a tire company so if theres a tire that you need or want to get an price on let me know. For performance tires the main brands they carry are Hankook and Toyo. So if anyone is interested in a perticular Hankook or Toyo tire and want an estimate feel free to PM me with the size, amount and zip.

Thanks,

-Raul
Old 10-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

for those of you with the Nitto 555s...where did you get them for what price? I didnt see them on tirerack.com i dont thikn that they carry nitto
Old 10-06-2006, 03:08 AM
macgyver
1st Gear Member

I had sumitomos put on 265 35 18 front 285 35 18 rear I had the fronts put on a month a go and they handle great. I just had the backs put on yesterday. I paid 385 for the two rears mount/bal and disposal. It was a little cheaper for the fronts.