4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

another CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:51 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

Default another CAI

yeah this is another post on JLT CAI. is there a big differnce between the one that goes in your fender CAI or the ram air one? will i notice anydiffernce other than a bitch to put on. im doing this along with a C&l plenum, 75mm tb, under drive pullies, sct xcal 2, and i already have bbk LT headers and off road h pipe. what are the pros and cons about the ram air other than at the track you can take your headlight out and have the filter right there.

oh and another question. i heard people boaring out their MAF meters. how do you do this and is there any differnce or power gains?
Old 10-03-2006, 03:25 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: another CAI

Well I'm new and still learning all this, but let me give this a try...
With the CAI you can get colder air, however, that air has to go through another bend which can slow it down a little making the difference negligable. It is also a PITA to clean the filter. Also, some say that it picks up more road dirt and can even get a little water in it sometimes from road. The RAI doesn't get as cold of air because it's open to the engine and can suck in the hot air, however it's a straight shot which means it can pull the air with less lag for marginally better throttle response. It comes with a heat shield that supposedly will keep some of the heat of the engine out, but most people don't even bother. And of course it's breeze to clean since it's not tucked away anywhere.

If you're planning on mainly using this for track and popping out the headlight is an option then I'd definitely say RAI, that way you get the cold air and the straighter shot. In the end, all the "marginal" and "negligable" differences are just that, maybe 2 or 3 RWHP more for a CAI, and with a RAI with the headlight out I'd expect you probably get that much again over the CAI, along with the ease of cleaning and the "pretty" look.

Maybe that helps and hopefully I got all my facts straight there. As for boaring out the MAF, I haven't heard of that so I don't know, sorry.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

thanks for that. anyone else? i think im gunna go with the RAI. but more responces will be app.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

Well I'm new and still learning all this, but let me give this a try...
With the CAI you can get colder air, however, that air has to go through another bend which can slow it down a little making the difference negligable. It is also a PITA to clean the filter. Also, some say that it picks up more road dirt and can even get a little water in it sometimes from road. The RAI doesn't get as cold of air because it's open to the engine and can suck in the hot air, however it's a straight shot which means it can pull the air with less lag for marginally better throttle response. It comes with a heat shield that supposedly will keep some of the heat of the engine out, but most people don't even bother. And of course it's breeze to clean since it's not tucked away anywhere.

If you're planning on mainly using this for track and popping out the headlight is an option then I'd definitely say RAI, that way you get the cold air and the straighter shot. In the end, all the "marginal" and "negligable" differences are just that, maybe 2 or 3 RWHP more for a CAI, and with a RAI with the headlight out I'd expect you probably get that much again over the CAI, along with the ease of cleaning and the "pretty" look.

Maybe that helps and hopefully I got all my facts straight there. As for boaring out the MAF, I haven't heard of that so I don't know, sorry.
Your lucky to see 5-6 WHP total on a CAI/RAI anyway on a stock or even boltons GT.

Just get the one you think looks the best in your price range. They are basically all the same.

You cannot bore out the MAF, but you can replace it.