4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cigarette Ligher/Power Point have no power

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:11 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cigarette Ligher/Power Point have no power

Hmm... alright, this is turning into an actual issue now, the first I've seen on this car which I guess is pretty good for 10 years old. I did some more testing with the aux connector while I was changing my shifter tonight and I found that there is a full 12 V to the hot side of the fuse receptacle, and after testing continuity I can confirm that the fuse is still good. Also, just to be 100% sure I stuck the 25 amp fuse labeled for power seats (since don't even have power seats) into the CIG/AUX fuse spot and tested it and still had absolutely nothing. When testing the connector I'm getting no voltage on the hot end and no continuity on the ground end, so if you ask me it seems like the wire is completely disconnected/cut somewhere.

My theory that the previous owner cut it for his stereo or something seems less likely now that I see how the wires are routed. The wires come up from underneath the back of the center console somewhere, go forward to the cigarette lighter, then the other wire goes forward to the auxiliary port. This means that even if he had cut the aux for power for some reason, the cigarette lighter should still work.

I've got wiring diagrams but I need to look and see if I have wire routing diagrams so I can see where these connectors all are exactly before I start ripping apart the car. Does anyone have any feedback regarding the situation? Anything similar happen to anyone else, or has anyone worked with the wires that feed the cigarette lighter and auxiliary power ports to know exactly where it comes from and goes to? Any help would be appreciated. I wont have time to work on it tomorrow so I guess it's going to be my weekend project.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:33 AM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

It calls for a 15 if im correct..just kept blowing mine so put a 20 in there now its fine~
Old 10-06-2006, 02:53 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Well I don't know if the 96 is different but the 97 definitely wants a 30 for that circuit. You can see the pic I posted of the fuse box diagram and legend above.

*looking*

Nope, definitely 30 on the 96 as well as I expected. The 20 is probably enough until you're running a lot on it though, just if you blow it again you can replace it with a little higher next time.

Either way, that's not my problem still because I'm getting NO power too strong a fuse would at least give me a weak signal), and no ground, which no wrong fuse could prevent.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:32 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Hmm, well, I fixed it. It was just a connector under the center console that was disconnected. Luckily I saw it by peeking through the emergency brake boot and was able to pull the inside compartment out of the arm rest and reach in and connect it.

Now the question is why it was disconnected in the first place. I think I'll email the previous owner and see if they disconnected it for any specific reason, though I did notice that when I reconnected it, it had two latches on the side that snap when it's pushed together completely, and I wasn't able to completely snap it in because of the angle at which my arm was reaching down there. It's pretty tight, but still, it leaves room for the possibility that it just wiggled out last time too.

Ahh well, all is better now. Thanks for the help guys.