4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP!!! POWER SURGES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 03:48 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default HELP!!! POWER SURGES!

I dont know what the hell is going on. I was at the track tonight and was running some pretty good times for it being 95 degrees. Well I was finally knocked out in the 4th round of the stang shoot out.

I was on the way home and it didnt start happening till I was almost home, but in first gear I would let out on the clutch and slowly press the gas and it would studder for a second then all the sudden just snap your neck by a sudden punch of power then go back to studdering then another punch of power and so on. If I let it idle down to far it shut completly off.

I did go to the car wash today and cleaned the engine and sprayed it off but I have done that several times in the past and never had this problem... and this started happening like five hours later. I just dont understand! Someone please help!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:20 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: HELP!!! POWER SURGES!

IAC valve man.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:28 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Check it out!!! I just went to get something to eat and it was still acting up and the check engine light finally come on. I hooked the OBD II up to it and the code read "P103 MAF or VAF circuit high voltage" Does this mean the MAM from ProM went bad???
Old 07-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Uh oh, possible.

Do this, see if you can get the car to idle...if you can get it to idle, tap on your MAF housing and see if the idle jumps. If it does, ....doh.

Also if you have a K&N and applied too much filter oil, that's known to gunk it up and require a cleaning or replacement.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:58 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

well I just got through talking to my roommate. (aircraft electrician) He says that water in the sensor connector on top will cause a high voltage also. Im gonna leave it over night and open it up tomorrow morning and see if its wet in there. I was just dumb for wetting it to begin with.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I had gotten the MAF connection on my Iroc-z alittle wet once, couldn't figure out for the life of me what happened until I started ripping the intake apart and I noticed how damp it was. [&:]
Old 07-24-2004, 01:48 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

how did you dry it off... just unplug it and leave it set for the day?

oohh, and it didnt dry over night. I started it up this morning and it was still acting up.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:31 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Ok, just an update...

I talked to the guy from DeMolet Motorsports (densecharger.com) and he said it sounds like water in the recepticle and to let it dry out. To trouble shoot it he said that the small sensor that sets on top of the meter can be interchanged with the stock one because they are the same.

He also said that if that doesnt work to just send the whole meter back to him and they would replace it.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:03 PM
01GTvertible
3rd Gear Member

them guys at demolet sports seem to be pretty cool and will work with you. he sent me an email asking how my C.A.I install went and if i had any problems. those guys are professionals. good luck with that jdaniel.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:49 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: Uuhhh the stock mass air flow sensor didnt fit the ProM 85mm Meter. I have a hair dryer on the way and im gonna use that and see if it helps any. Im hoping its just water in sensor and connector.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! POWER SURGES!