4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

white faced glow guages

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:12 AM
timi
2nd Gear Member

Default white faced glow guages

i was wondering if anyone has any experience with the glow guages. i'm considering getting the ones from American Muscle (mustang tuning) or i found some autometer luminesence but those are over 400.

i heard that removing the needles and getting them back is a pain in the butt. any
thoughts?

thanks!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 AM
MarineNCOIC
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: white faced glow guages

I've never done it on an SN-95. But yea the needles are the hardest part. Most of the time, you can slide the gauge face over the needle through the hole pretty easily pulling up on the needle slightly. It makes for a cleaner and longer lasting install if you remove the needles. This allows you to put double sided tape on the face to make sure the needles wont stick on the new face. Pay speacial attention to the area right around the needle base. Removing the needles aren't difficult, but it takes a lot of pull. You will feel like you are going to break them. Just be careful and take you time. If you decide to take the needles off you will need to re-install it once the gauge cluster is hooked up to the car. For tach, you idle at 750 so put the needle pointing there when teh car is idling. For speedo, put it at 0 when the car is stopped. For gas, put the needle in with a topped off tank right above F. For temp, put the needle slightly to the right of 90* when the car is warmed up. Same for oil. Same for volts, except no warm up needed. I know this is crude, but Ford or any other shop will charge an arm and a leg to recalibrate your needles. Personally I wouldnt reccomend EL gauges... too many issues with them. But if you still want to do them, just take you time and be careful.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:43 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

dont take the needles off, i heard its way more difficult, get an extra set of hands then point all the needles upward and slide the over lay over, I did it last week. I encountered one problem though, the needles started sticking because its too thick when they expand in the heat or after sitting. So Wesley GT said that if you keep the 8 torx screws keeping the black piece/plastic a little loose then they have room to expand and dont obstruct the needles movement. And my odometer is blurry, so you might want to cut out that part with an exacto knife or razor blade, I think I will soon.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 AM
MarineNCOIC
2nd Gear Member

Just my .02. I've done them both with and without taking them off, and with and the ones that I took the needles off looked cleaner. Whatever works best for you I suppose. Good luck.