4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

auto vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:03 PM
fear itself

Default auto vs. manual

i've been thinking about converting my 4.6l auto into a manual. has anybody ever done that in here? i was wondering how much $$$ i was looking at and what are the parts that i would need. i know that ive heard it would increase 1/4 time by like .1 sec, is this true?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:05 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Default RE: auto vs. manual

sell the car buy an manual.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:07 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

i know that ive heard it would increase 1/4 time by like .1 sec, is this true
No from the factory the manual transmission is faster against the factory automatic.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:09 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

sell the car buy an manual.
+1

get a cobra if you can
Old 10-06-2006, 04:13 PM
fear itself

i dont want to sell the car cuz this was my first car i ever got.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:21 PM
06mustang88
3rd Gear Member

dude swapping into an 5 or 6 speed tranny is a huuuuge job. not only would it cost tons and tons of money in labor, you have to find someone to do it and that is just about as hard as coming up with the 4 grand to do it.

what you should do instead is build up your automatic tranny. get a shift kit, torque converter and a trans cooler. maybe a stall converter if you want one too. after that, you're tranny will be better than a 5 speed. the only downfall is the fun factor that you lose with having the auto
Old 10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06mustang88

dude swapping into an 5 or 6 speed tranny is a huuuuge job. not only would it cost tons and tons of money in labor, you have to find someone to do it and that is just about as hard as coming up with the 4 grand to do it.

what you should do instead is build up your automatic tranny. get a shift kit, torque converter and a trans cooler. maybe a stall converter if you want one too. after that, you're tranny will be better than a 5 speed. the only downfall is the fun factor that you lose with having the auto
I thought Torque=Stall Converter
Old 10-06-2006, 04:26 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

get a cobra if you can
+1000

i dont want to sell the car cuz this was my first car i ever got.
Well, then ur scrwed. Give the car up. It can be replaced with something better.

Rebuilt 3650: +/- 2000
Clutch: 250
Driveshaft: 500
Appx 15h install time at 85bucks an hour: 1275
Speed Correction: 400 (just get the programmer)

Grand total: 4425
Old 10-06-2006, 04:27 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, that's the kind of job you only want to do on a car that's really worth it. I know people who have swapped old classics because they were rare cars and they wanted them for drag or something like that, but that's not the kind of thing I'd waste time on for a modern Mustang unless it was some special edition or something.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I was in the same place you were about 3 months ago... I was askin everyone whats the best way to go from auto to manual. I got about the same responses, either get a shift kit or sell it for a manual. I was kinda upset about the responses that I was getting cuz I really didn't wanna sell my car [>:]. After awhile, I gave it some thought... and decided it was gonna actually be cheaper for me to believe it or not buy an 04 Cobra for less than I was gonna spend on modding up my GT. Now some guys like to have the sleeper image and take on Cobras, Vettes, etc... but you gotta have some money and time to do that. I just like what the Cobra brings to the table. I have one thats being held for me as we speak and its probably one of the better decisions that I made. Everyone here is just tryin to steer you into a better situation... but I know how you feel.

Quick Reply: auto vs. manual