4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problems after new intake install

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 10:42 PM
purplevert96gt

Default Problems after new intake install

Hey guys wondering if I could get some help here. I have a 96 mustang GT and of course the instake manifold broke on it. I replaced it yesterday and noticed when I unplugged the number 6,7,and 8 plugs the boots where wet. Well after I reinstalled the intake manifold. The car starts ruff, idles fine, but when I give it gas it stumbles and misses. It only missing if I punch it but if I do a steady push on the throttle it doesnt miss.

And also I and lossing coolant and I dont know where none in the oil. Just pulled the plug boots out again and the same ones are wet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 10:48 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Problems after new intake install

Double check the vacum lines that you have them all hooked back up correctly.
The coolant loss could be just the the filling all the voids in the engine.
Any check engine light?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 PM
purplevert96gt

i have a cracked vaccuum line but i duct taped it up. No check engine light.

What about the plug boots being wet?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: purplevert96gt

Hey guys wondering if I could get some help here. I have a 96 mustang GT and of course the instake manifold broke on it. I replaced it yesterday and noticed when I unplugged the number 6,7,and 8 plugs the boots where wet. Well after I reinstalled the intake manifold. The car starts ruff, idles fine, but when I give it gas it stumbles and misses. It only missing if I punch it but if I do a steady push on the throttle it doesnt miss.

And also I and lossing coolant and I dont know where none in the oil. Just pulled the plug boots out again and the same ones are wet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris
Sorry missed that bit.
Let me ask you did you pull the plugs and clean them and remove all the coolant from the plug pocket when you did the swap?
Also did you verifiy that the old intake did leak?
Old 10-07-2006, 11:05 PM
purplevert96gt

yes all plugs where pulled and cleaned but didnt check gaps after cleaning them. yes we dried the plug pockets as best we could.

The intake was cracked it killed my alternator because when you hit the throttle it would spray coolant right at the alternator. that was the only area the intake leaked gasket was in great shape and no pinches or tears. New intake had built in gaskets. Torqued it dont according to specs.

Another thing is there is some coolant pooled on one of the coil packs. I dried it and just plugged all the plugs, and wires and going to let them dry. Plugged still look good and the gaps are good too.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:13 PM
bleau
2nd Gear Member

That sucks man.
I did the same thing with my 96 except mine cracked by the heater hose.
Did not have the problem after install.
Suprised you cant see anything seeping.
If it were me I would start tearing it back down and go through it again make sure you have all the old gasket and crap off heads.
Just what I got maybe someone else will chime in here..
Good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:21 PM
purplevert96gt

i know the gasket surfaces are clean I had a gasket scrapper and used gas to clean it after words it was clean. I didnt clean the treads on the intake bolts though. And what exactly should I be torqueing them down to. I only torqued them to 18ft/lbs. Since that is what it said on the intake.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Start the car and pull up a chair and watch the spot here the fuel is getting the plug boots wet. Rev the throttle some and see if that causes anything. How are the plugs in those 3 cylinders? Lean/rich/etc.? You can always change the injectors with 3 othrs near the front of the motor and see if the problem follows them or not. Thanks, mark
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
purplevert96gt

i will give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
purplevert96gt

Well I redid the intake yesterday no there are no leaks spark plug boots arent wet. The car is fine sometimes and others it is not. When it is cold it works great except on hard shift from 1-2 and 2-3 it missing a little then. Then after a while it will get bad and it will miss between 3200-4200 rpm but is perfect everywhere else. Then sometimes it wont act up at all. Brought replacement vacuum lines today and still does it. This is leading me to believe it is fuelinjectors or spark. But why would it act up intermittenly and not all the time?

Thanks for your help

Jason