4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

California smog??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Stalion415
1st Gear Member

Default California smog??

ive talked to a few people but i am not sure if anyone on here knows the real rules on smog in ca...

i need to get the stock h pipe and cats on my car to pass smog correct? most of the smog test in CA at least is visual so i dont know if that o2 thing would work... input please.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:13 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: California smog??

i just passed smog with all the mods in my sig 1 month ago but yes you just have atleast highflow cats and it is most visual most place DO ask for all the carb eo stickers or plates .... but no you do not need stock parts as long as its all carb legal SMOG BLOWS ***** man im thinking about getting a arizona drivers liscnese and PO box its only 2 and a half hours away and i wouldnt have to smog my car lol
Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 PM
2green4red
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99roushgt

i just passed smog with all the mods in my sig 1 month ago but yes you just have atleast highflow cats and it is most visual most place DO ask for all the carb eo stickers or plates .... but no you do not need stock parts as long as its all carb legal SMOG BLOWS ***** man im thinking about getting a arizona drivers liscnese and PO box its only 2 and a half hours away and i wouldnt have to smog my car lol
We do emissions testing here too. Cats are checked visually, (since sensors can be tricked) so it can depend on what the tech "sees". Some apparently choose not to notice that the cats are missing as I know of at least 2 non catted stangs that have passed.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

My dad has never had a problem smogging his 01 GT with saleen SC. He swaps out his O/R H pipe with a catted X pipe every year for smog.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:05 PM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2green4red

We do emissions testing here too. Cats are checked visually, (since sensors can be tricked) so it can depend on what the tech "sees". Some apparently choose not to notice that the cats are missing as I know of at least 2 non catted stangs that have passed.
you might have smog where your at but i know in NEEDLES on the cali border there is in fact no smog its like here some places have no smog like very un populated desert towns up north but the nearest one is 6 hours away and i know noone who lives there so no adress to use and i have a few friends from work who live in needles who could let me use their address and mail me all the paperwork i have it well thought out lol
Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM
2green4red
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2green4red

you might have smog where your at but i know in NEEDLES on the cali border there is in fact no smog its like here some places have no smog like very un populated desert towns up north but the nearest one is 6 hours away and i know noone who lives there so no adress to use and i have a few friends from work who live in needles who could let me use their address and mail me all the paperwork i have it well thought out lol

Indeed you do, sorry, I forgot how much of az is nothin but dirt and ADEQ doesn't care about out there.....hmmmm....now you have me thinking