4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default spark plugs

Do sparkplugs and wires really offer much performance? I know its healthy to have a strong spark, but what do they really do especially wires?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: spark plugs

Wires won't do you any good at all.

But, for an engine with wires, they can make or break an engine. A quality set will not allow the spark to escape and deliver the spark to the plug without losing the power. It will also shield the EM emissions allowing your radio to be nice and clear and your computer to think a little clearer.

Plugs are a little less critical. Their primary concern is not deforming with the temperature extremes and maintaining the gap. I use plain ol' copper plugs in my high compression, high rpm engines with no problems. Platinum, iridium, and these other coating simply supply a more dense material to be burned off with each spark (the metal is vaporized with each spark...how much is determined by the characteristics of the metal). This allows these plugs to provide a longer life, though the strength of the spark is compromised by the higher resistance material used. If you could use gold plugs, you'd have the optimum...assuming it wouldn't melt, of course.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:32 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

the 4.6 sohc 2v uses coil packs, no wires. and copper is good choice for plugs, look into the NGK TR55 copper, great plugs.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ah, so what can I do to maintain my coil packs? How exactly do those work? Can you switch them out? Do you guys recommend copper plugs instead of platinum or iridium for my GT? Copper wont last as long but provide a lil more performance correct?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Poobs
3rd Gear Member

I have owned this Stang for about 2 years. My plugs have a small V in the center electrode so I guess they are not standard plugs. Can't remember the brand [&o]

They do seem rather worn in the 30,000 miles that I've clocked on the car
Old 10-09-2006, 11:39 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

i have those ngk ones that the guy said up above and i would recommend those stay away from bosch platinums the ford dealer told me that cuz i guess ford engines dont like them or somethingin those line
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Alright thanks for the advice, I guess my main question is why copper instead of the more expensive platinum. Does copper wear much more significantly than platinum? And I'd really like to know about coil packs. Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

The coil pack is just an ignition coil that's mounted directly to the spark plug. There are some aftermarket coils, but the benefits would be very limited without high chamber pressures. The stock ignition on the PI Mustangs is very good, even better than many aftermarket ignitions. The hardest thing on the coils would be extended high voltage use (wide gaps and high chamber pressures from either high rpm or FI).

I use Autolite Platinum (the low end, replacement type) on my '03 mainly because it is a DD and it's a pain to replace the plugs on these beasts. I change these at 20k miles. The coppers in my other cars get changed every couple years (2k-3k miles).

ORIGINAL: handyandy

ah, so what can I do to maintain my coil packs? How exactly do those work? Can you switch them out? Do you guys recommend copper plugs instead of platinum or iridium for my GT? Copper wont last as long but provide a lil more performance correct?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks colorado.

Quick Reply: spark plugs