4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

water in the intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: water in the intake

ORIGINAL: art02gt

today i inspected my car and found trails of water behind the air filter and at the end of the hose where the throttle body is. my car is missing the right inner fender plastic thing that is supposed to guard against that, i also get mud in the door hinges everytime it rains. my main concern was the water going past the filter, what problems can develop? i didn't know that water was going in there so i had no rush to buy the plastic thing, but know that i found out i'm ordering it tomorrow.

Water in the induction/combustion system of any car is never good.

However, don't stress out about a little water. A little water will more than likely not hurt anything. Even if a little water made it to the combustion chamber, don't sweat about it.

A lot of water in the combustion chamber is a big problem. Unlike air, (a gas), water, (a liquid), does not compress. If your car takes a big drink of water:
intake valve opens; water goes in; intake valve closes; piston goes up; things break. It's called hydraulicing. Because liquids don't compress like air, something has to give.

I definitely would stay out of the water until you get the inner fender guard.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 AM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

wow, that's a huge weight off my back, as soon as i get out of school tomorrow i'm going to order it from the dealership, thanks a ton to all of you guys for your input. i don't think that alot of water got in, maybe a couple of drops, do you guys think i should change the oil?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:05 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

wow, that's a huge weight off my back, as soon as i get out of school tomorrow i'm going to order it from the dealership, thanks a ton to all of you guys for your input. i don't think that alot of water got in, maybe a couple of drops, do you guys think i should change the oil?

Water is more dense than oil. IE,,, oil floats on top of water. If you're really concerned about it, crack your drain plug and see if a milky white mixture of oil and water comes out. If not, don't worry about it.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:20 PM
badboystangGT
2nd Gear Member

hey how much was the plastic thing? cause i need one too!! trust me i had to learn the hard way my CAI was a fenderwell and water got sucked up right into the engine and hydrlocked the engine snapped three rods right through the block!!
Old 10-10-2006, 02:33 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT_Bob

today i inspected my car and found trails of water behind the air filter and at the end of the hose where the throttle body is. my car is missing the right inner fender plastic thing that is supposed to guard against that, i also get mud in the door hinges everytime it rains. my main concern was the water going past the filter, what problems can develop? i didn't know that water was going in there so i had no rush to buy the plastic thing, but know that i found out i'm ordering it tomorrow.

Water in the induction/combustion system of any car is never good.

However, don't stress out about a little water. A little water will more than likely not hurt anything. Even if a little water made it to the combustion chamber, don't sweat about it.

A lot of water in the combustion chamber is a big problem. Unlike air, (a gas), water, (a liquid), does not compress. If your car takes a big drink of water:
intake valve opens; water goes in; intake valve closes; piston goes up; things break. It's called hydraulicing. Because liquids don't compress like air, something has to give.

I definitely would stay out of the water until you get the inner fender guard.

+1

No problem for the short term unless its a crapton of water.

FYI, my intake is hanging way down by the ground, just inside a plastic shroud. I am sure there is a little water getting in there now and then.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:45 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

i just ordered the part today and it was a total of $59.95 for the "splash guard", you also have to get the push pins which are 5 bucks for 10 pins, but the guy gave them to me free