4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How loud is too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How loud is too loud?

New car GT_Bob? you gonna blow this one up?
Loud will get old period.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

+1
Old 10-10-2006, 12:06 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm going to blow this one up too.[sm=chairshot.gif]

I'm so glad you took time out of your busy schedule to post as very informative responce to Andy's question. I'm sure he will take the information you posted here and apply it to his future plans of modifying the exhaust on his car.

Damn good post Herd , damn good.[sm=loser.gif]

Old 10-10-2006, 12:11 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Better for you? I was kidding bro, and I wont ask for an apology. I had really loud exhaust in my 92 notch, Had it for all of 3 months. It sucks after a while cause you start getting the wrong kind of attention. Then the dumb questions start.....along with everybody and their momma tryin to race you

Old 10-10-2006, 12:15 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Here is what the state of California has to say about it........................................

"Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002."

boss281
3rd Gear Member

i dont know about noise but i know that there are laws against modifying the exhaust here in NM i got a ticket for that a few weeks ago, cop was an ******* [:@]
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

I have a no-cat prochamber with 40 series flowmasters dumped right after the mufflers, and i've never gotten any complaints. I'm gonna switch to an x-pipe soon though because the low end drone is too much for me. Cops stare at me like madmen but you should be ok with whatever you've got.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Okay, well I was trying to exclude California from this post (no offense cali people) but I live in Texas and I just wanted to know about the laws here, but thanks for the info everyone, I'll check out the DMV. I want to know because I might upgrade my exhaust later on. I have an unknown catback (previous owner couldn't remember [:@]) and it sounds good, I like it because its not really really loud, but just makes it sound better. But what kind of mid pipe or headers should I get to not boost this happy medium to an overwhelming sound. I mean I know we all have different tastes. Sometimes I think I want a loud car, but most of me thinks I'm going to get annoyed later on. I just want a slightly louder than what I have, which isn't very loud at all but better than stock. Any suggestions? Is this even possible?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Well I'm partial to magniflow, but borla/ bassani you can't go wrong.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:24 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

So do borla/bassani/magnaflow all sound good. I'm not talking good as in super loud. but good as in a beautiful throaty muscly exhaust sound regardless of noise. And do cats dampen the sound?

Quick Reply: How loud is too loud?