4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How loud is too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default How loud is too loud?

Is there legality problems with a super loud exhaust? Lets just say I had a full exhaust setup with an extremely loud setup. (I'm not a pro at exhaust yet, but lets say LM1's with a offroad X and headers....whatever something really loud). How loud does it have to be for you to get pulled over for it? I live in Texas.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How loud is too loud?

No such thing, imo. The law sometimes thinks otherwise.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

There are no "noise pollution" laws pertaining to vehicles?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

There are in some states. Call the local PD and see what they say about noise ordinances. It really varies from cop to cop though. If they're an *******, they'll pull you over even if you arent breaking the law.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

I know in California there isn't a noise ordininance. But there is definatley a a law against exhibiotion of speed. Such as revving or quick launches. I doubt a Mustang can get loud enough to get pulled over. DMV should know for sure. Heck, my dad's Shelby Cobra is loud as hell and we never get pulled over?

Old 10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

most ares just LM1s are good enough if a cop really wants to.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

My wife had my old 97 GT in California, with a BBK X with no cats and flowmaster 40 series and full bolt on with tune. She got puled over in an AMPM parking lot while she was getting gas for the car being too loud. The only reason she got out of the ticket was because my plates were from North Carolina and it had an up to date inspection sticker. So the cop couldn't to anything.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

I dont hear a lot of people in TX talking about getting pulled over for exhaust unless you're being obnoxious about it. Id have to go look it up, but i believe the law states that something has to be 80db or over to be illegal(again i could be wrong, its been a while since the academy). I dont know any law enforcement agencies that carry sound meters in their cars. I only pull people over if they're revving it late at night around a neighborhood and probably waking people up.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i know a bunch of cops and ive talked to them about it, they said as long as your not being an *** and reving it, you will be fine (they said that is what most cops would say) but like c83 said there are some dicks out there.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 PM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

I know in California there isn't a noise ordininance. But there is definatley a a law against exhibiotion of speed. Such as revving or quick launches. I doubt a Mustang can get loud enough to get pulled over. DMV should know for sure. Heck, my dad's Shelby Cobra is loud as hell and we never get pulled over?

Yes, there are State laws in California regarding engine exhaust. Your local city government may have additions to the state vehicle code.

There are laws pertaining to modifications of exhaust systems and acceptable sound levels. I don't know what state you live in , but here is the link to the California DMV that pertains to modified exhaust and noise restrictions.

State laws vary significantly, so check your state's DMV for information applicable to you.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm

Quick Reply: How loud is too loud?