4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Questions on NOS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
2003gtron

Default Questions on NOS

I have a '03 GT with a cold air intake and exaust (no headers-I asked my friend if I should get headers and he told my mine were fine, especially since I'm going to get NOS).

What bolt-on's would maximize results from a nitrous system?

For example, should I put on a pulley kit, ignition system, chip, and bigger throttle body before I install a nitrous kit?

(I plan on getting a dry system with +125 boost at the most, just to make street driving a little more fun. I'm no racer, but I don't like to get punked by ricers and camaros, either.)

please advise! thanks!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Theorem1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Questions on NOS

Well stock motor with 125 shot may be excessive I dont have much expiriance with N2O but as far as I know youll start breaking shiit with taht much before motor prep. Speicaly on the street you really have no business useing 125 shot, even with a deseving ricer or LS1 u could hurt yourshelf or someone very badly.
Street racing and nitrous I never saw as a good combo. Use a 50 shot as a test run first and then youll see what kinda power that bottle has. 125 is a big jump and on the street just not cool
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

First, I'm no expert and nitrous scares me a little. Yeah, I'm a big chicken, but I don't want a new motor yet.

I would not recommend 125, but 100 tops. Plus, I'd have it tuned for that, but if not, then a wet kit would probably be less likely to develop a lean condition and cause your pistons and rods to seek the great outdoors. (Incidentally, I hear that's bad for motors.)

You probably won't be able to use it from a dig without some suspension work/DRs, but second gear would work I'd think.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
2003gtron

wow, these previous two replies to my questions about putting nitrous on my car is confusing me because I had a different understanding about it.

I thought wet systems were for carb. and dry systems for fuel injection.
And +125 boost was modest compared to the boost that some folk use on the streets.
I didn't think +125 boost would equal too much by the time it got to the wheel.
And as far as my pistons on the stock motor, if I just piggy-back the fuel system and set the settings to just "passing power" or turning the whole nitrous system off from the cockpit, I wouldn't really hurt anything.

Does anyone have advice to share based upon their own experience?
I just want to know what bolt-on's I should get before the nitrous. Or if I can put the bolt-on's after the nitrous is installed?

Thanks.
2003 GT, cold air and exhaust, and suspension stuff

ps I will get the subframe connectors with the nitrous kit
Old 10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Theorem1

Well stock motor with 125 shot may be excessive I dont have much expiriance with N2O but as far as I know youll start breaking shiit with taht much before motor prep. Speicaly on the street you really have no business useing 125 shot, even with a deseving ricer or LS1 u could hurt yourshelf or someone very badly.
Street racing and nitrous I never saw as a good combo. Use a 50 shot as a test run first and then youll see what kinda power that bottle has. 125 is a big jump and on the street just not cool
you will hardly feel a 50shot.. but the bottle will last a long time....
Old 10-11-2006, 07:00 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2003gtron

wow, these previous two replies to my questions about putting nitrous on my car is confusing me because I had a different understanding about it.

I thought wet systems were for carb. and dry systems for fuel injection.
And +125 boost was modest compared to the boost that some folk use on the streets.
I didn't think +125 boost would equal too much by the time it got to the wheel.
And as far as my pistons on the stock motor, if I just piggy-back the fuel system and set the settings to just "passing power" or turning the whole nitrous system off from the cockpit, I wouldn't really hurt anything.

Does anyone have advice to share based upon their own experience?
I just want to know what bolt-on's I should get before the nitrous. Or if I can put the bolt-on's after the nitrous is installed?

Thanks.
2003 GT, cold air and exhaust, and suspension stuff

ps I will get the subframe connectors with the nitrous kit
First of all its not boost, boost is what you get from a super or turbo charger, its called 125 shot of nitrous, and it sounds like you dont really no very much at all about nitrous so i woulndt suggest getting it unless u want to damage ur engine.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:02 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

ORIGINAL: Theorem1

you will hardly feel a 50shot.. but the bottle will last a long time....
you want to start small and upgrade, and keep getting it tuned
Old 10-11-2006, 07:16 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

First get most, if not all of the typical bolt-ons. Then go out and get a good nitrous kit, i suggest a nx kit. Keep it at 100, and I would get a wet kit personally. Either you blow your intake off with a wet kit, or you lean out and throw a rod with a dry kit, worse case scenario ill take the new intake over having to buy a new motor.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

ok. first of all if your going f/i (forced induction) i would recommend having l/t headers, and all the other boltons. the stock manifolds are crap imo, and to be safe most people here say only run a 100 shot. anything more is pushing it. id do full boltons first before you think of nitrous, because i have plenty of power right now, and its n/a. nitrous is fun, but it does get expensive.. and what do you consider exhaust?? this is what id do before nitrous

l/t headers
o/r or catted mid-pipe
catback.

then id do...

intake
75mm throttle body
upper intake plenum.

also dont forget when dealing with nitrous the biggest thing is a dyno-tune. let me repeat this a DYNO-TUNE!!!!! good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 07:27 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

I recommend going to Pipes/Boost/Juice forum and read the stickies. Then ask questions about the stuff you didn't understand in the stickies and let Nitrous_Bob or Full_Auto fill in the holes...

75-100 shot wet or dry with a rock solid tune FTW. Good luck.