4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to the 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New to the 4.6L

yeah the goat looks like a cavalier on sterroids. if it didn't say GTO on it i would think it was a Z24 or something
Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

want to go cheap?

timing adjuster and under drive pullies. do these before anything else. look for used parts, i got a steeda timing adjuster for $70 and steeda underdrives for $100. make sure you get non piggyback style underdrves.

remove the mass air screen and the silencer - don't ever buy a cold air intake, just do like i said, $free!

get an ebay ported tb / plenum. there is a guy on ebay who does great work, ports the stock tb and mates it to a ported professional products plenum all less than $200 shipped. pretty much the setup you want if you want to stay n/a. there is no reason to go to a 70mm or 75mm tb.

you will feel some real gains for cheap w/o doing alot of hard work. all can be bolted on in a few hours. your looking at about $400 and should easily net a real +20 rwhp AND torque. maybe even more.

want to go faster now - gears. the 4.6 engine likes to rev and makes its power above 3k rpm. it rev's smoothly and has a very satisfying sound when it does. 3.73, 3.9 or 4.10 (street/highway car ----- track car).
Old 10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

I read about the silencer in that MM&FF write up but what is the mass air screen? Have a write-up about it?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Quick Shot xMLx

I read about the silencer in that MM&FF write up but what is the mass air screen? Have a write-up about it?

He is an LSX guy, he will know about de-screening the MAF, in my opinion, DONT DO IT! the MINUTE!!! possibility of MINISCULE hp gain does NOT offset the potential for dammaging the MAF or causing inaccurate readings. Lol, this has to be depressing him, $400 to gain 20whp. LS1 (and LS2) guys get about that for $60 and the price of welding a cut-out in. Add a lid and you have knocked off the better part of half a second on your ET and added 2+ mph to your trap speed. I will say gears are your best bang for the buck idea, and some ET streets, beat em off the line and hope they give up before you hit 3rd/4th and slow down, lol.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:28 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: fausty

quik question im not familiar with the term goat
GTO=goat
Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

the screen is sandwiched between the air filter and the mass air meter. pull out your air filter and you'll see it if you have the stock intake.

if you can get your hands on the installation instuctions for some of the cai's out there, they'll say to pull the screen with the new intake.

i bought my car new, pulled the screen out within the first few months, have 50k miles on it now and have not had a single problem ever. <- that is experience talking. i did a lot of research on it, if you keep the stock intake you will have no problems.

stanger88, by the implication in your words and every other narrow minded ls1 fan out there, even those who pick an ls1 are morons because they could have bought an old camaro with a 454, or better yet a built caddy 500, for way less than any ls1 and make more power. i guess everyone who doesn't drive a 600rwhp ****box that they got for $1000 - "becasue performance is all i'm after..." - is a dipshlt in your eyes.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangc83

yeah the goat looks like a cavalier on sterroids. if it didn't say GTO on it i would think it was a Z24 or something
DIAF

a lot of people say that but w/e in a way it is true in a way it isnt. all im tryin to say is the GTO is still a sweet car reguardless of its "cavalier" looks.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Monch

the screen is sandwiched between the air filter and the mass air meter. pull out your air filter and you'll see it if you have the stock intake.

if you can get your hands on the installation instuctions for some of the cai's out there, they'll say to pull the screen with the new intake.

i bought my car new, pulled the screen out within the first few months, have 50k miles on it now and have not had a single problem ever. <- that is experience talking. i did a lot of research on it, if you keep the stock intake you will have no problems.

stanger88, by the implication in your words and every other narrow minded ls1 fan out there, even those who pick an ls1 are morons because they could have bought an old camaro with a 454, or better yet a built caddy 500, for way less than any ls1 and make more power. i guess everyone who doesn't drive a 600rwhp ****box that they got for $1000 - "becasue performance is all i'm after..." - is a dipshlt in your eyes.
He gave up a nice car for a ****box. I think you have the OPPOSITE of my mentality. GTO>Mustang in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY (other than looks, and thats subjective).

I have around 14K to spend on a different car or dropping a 408 in my fox (which is clean and in 90% condition, inside and out) but I am going with a late model (01-02) F-body...I think that sums it up.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:44 PM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

It doesnt matter anyway lol they are most likely stopping production of the GTO soon, a year or two from what I hear. Hell, the GTO isnt even American made, its made in Australia haha gotta love that.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:46 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: wes ley n the G T

It doesnt matter anyway lol they are most likely stopping production of the GTO soon, a year or two from what I hear. Hell, the GTO isnt even American made, its made in Australia haha gotta love that.

The GTO is holden, it is so far from american that american change wont fit the change holders. Production has already stopped. YM06 was it.

Quick Reply: New to the 4.6L