4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New TB equals bad gas mileage..help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Stangstud

Default RE: New TB equals bad gas mileage..help

i went from getting 20mpg to about 16-17mpg. is this a lot to lose or is that normal? i didnt think i would lose much at all.
ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

ORIGINAL: Monch

yank the negative cable from the battery for a couple of hours. the computer will re-learn its' fuel curves

if you only had 1 tank so far where you noticed less mileage, it could be that when you last filled up you didn't get a complete fill. it happens sometimes that the pump gets switched off thinking you're full when in fact you are not.
Erm... that's true.

Instead of figuring how many miles you got to a tank, you should be calculating your MPG by the amount of gas you're putting into your tank.

I'd forget the idea you lost any mileage until you calculate it more accurately.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

did you reset the computer?

it is not normal.

is your idle messed up (hangs high) after the new tb/plenum?

every bolt on i've ever done has either made no difference in fuel economy or improved it somewhat. never a decrease. and i'm talking about regular driving after the few tanks of gas after modding.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:34 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

damn i wish i got 275 to a tank of gas. as of right now, the most i can get out of a tank of gas is 220 if im lucky. if your gonna cry about gas, get a 4 banger. just messin with ya. the more you do to your car the worse gas mileage you get. trust me. i went from 20-21 mpg driving normal. to 16.9-17.1mpg. consider yourself lucky
Old 10-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Stangstud

ya my idle did exactly that. i would rev it and on its way down it would stop at about 1000rpms and hang for a second or two then fall the rest of the way. but that didnt last very long at all, it seemed to work itself out, thats not happening anymore. and no i didnt reset my computer.
ORIGINAL: Monch

did you reset the computer?

it is not normal.

is your idle messed up (hangs high) after the new tb/plenum?

every bolt on i've ever done has either made no difference in fuel economy or improved it somewhat. never a decrease. and i'm talking about regular driving after the few tanks of gas after modding.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: Stangstud

So what do i need to do to even out the air and fuel mixture to make it right?
Put back your old TB assembly and plenum assembly As you gain performance you will typically lose MPG you can't have both.

edit: you may want to try a tuner and dyno the car to optimize the computer setup. That will probably help you come out ahead of where you were to begin with.

Not exactly... these engines are choked and bottle necked from top to bottom. Performane modifications less than a SC & Nitrous should actually improve efficiency, the engine load will be less and hence giving the opportunity to increase gas mileage.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

then please tell me y my gas mileage sucks dan?? i dont even get on it and it sucks. its no use, i mgith as well get an import. street bike that is. i will be prolly be getting one soon
Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Go over everything 100%. Be sure everything is secure. I just found that my PCV valve was almost out but it was hard to see being under the intake pipe.
I would also see that the air filter did not become loose sinse the intake pipe must have been moved for the installation. Check to se that the intake air temperature sensor is in the intake tube where it belongs. Tried to send you a PM but it would not go through. Later, mark
Old 10-12-2006, 05:08 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Unless I'm reading it wrong, that works out to about 1.3 MPG difference which is very little if you feel that you gained a few HP.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

I agree you probubly got a leak someweres. You should see better mpg. Anytime yo make an engine work better you should see mpg gains, even w/sc.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

well i say that if you buy a V8 mustang GT, and are spending 400 dollars for 15 hp, i really don't think that you need to worry about gas mileage. you can complain all you want, but until you sell your mustang for an element or something, then i would not need worry.

Quick Reply: New TB equals bad gas mileage..help