4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need some shock/strut reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:44 AM
scubasteve20

Default need some shock/strut reccomendations

Hey, It's time to replace the shocks & struts seeing as the originals have 150k on them. I'd like to get some inputs though. I'm using stock springs and I don't want all out performance, maybe just a little stiffer. The KYB GR2's have a pretty attractive Ebay price but I've never used them. Any pros/cons or something else in the same price range? Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: need some shock/strut reccomendations

ORIGINAL: scubasteve20

Hey, It's time to replace the shocks & struts seeing as the originals have 150k on them. I'd like to get some inputs though. I'm using stock springs and I don't want all out performance, maybe just a little stiffer. The KYB GR2's have a pretty attractive Ebay price but I've never used them. Any pros/cons or something else in the same price range? Thanks,

Steve
That's what I have and well pleased. Why spend big bucks for Koni's.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:56 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

I need shocks bad too. But i dont wanna lower so can i use the same ones?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 PM
scubasteve20

"lizzyfan", did the GR2's stiffen it up at all compared to stock? I think that's what I'll be using but I also found a "springtech" set pretty cheap, anybody try these? I don't like the idea of using a non-major brand for something like that but if anyone has had good results, let mer know and I'll consider those too. Since the motor swap my fun budget is really non-existent for the moment [&:]
Old 10-21-2006, 07:00 AM
TomSegers

In the same situation as Steve - my rear shocks need replacing. I have been searching on this site about KYB's and they seem to have good reviews as people are happy with them. On summitracing.com, they are well priced too and am currently trying to decide between two different ones:
- KYB Gas-a-Just Shocks and Struts (35$)
- KYB GR-2 Gas Shocks and Struts (70$)

From what I've been able to tell, the KYB GR2 has a twin tube design, while the other ones have a mono-tube design. Since the GR-2's are twice the price, are they much better and stiffer or will they simply last much longer? I have a 94 GT Covertable that is not going to see any track time at all. I'm after good ride handling.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10-21-2006, 01:12 PM
travisl1213
4th Gear Member

i am going to get strange adj shocks and struts for mine to go with coilovers
Old 10-21-2006, 04:24 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

KYB AGX or Tokick Illuminas...or the Bilsteins...i was going to go with GR2s (i ended up getting AGX for 335 shipped off a guy on here who didn't put them on his car and sold his car) but a guy at a shop that i went to said he had GR2s with his Eibach pro-kit and they blew out in less than a year...and he had them on a 2.3 Mustang with a LOT less weight than ours...he said he upgraded to the AGX after that...then i ran into this deal and scooped them up because the AGXs new are pretty expensive...but worth it
Old 10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scubasteve20

"lizzyfan", did the GR2's stiffen it up at all compared to stock? I think that's what I'll be using but I also found a "springtech" set pretty cheap, anybody try these? I don't like the idea of using a non-major brand for something like that but if anyone has had good results, let mer know and I'll consider those too. Since the motor swap my fun budget is really non-existent for the moment [&:]
I just wanted to clarify, that Shocks don't "stiffen," much of anything... They actually make your car stable so it doesn't bounce FROM stiff springs.. That's why, the U.S. is the ONLY COUNTRY that calls them shocks/struts instead of Compression Dampeners or suspension Dampeners...

I've had AGX's, Illuminas, and even Koni yellows amongst my cars... I'd say, that if you want a solid ride, and reliability, and you have the extra money, get the Koni's...

I know there will be a bunch of folks who disagree, but think of it like this.. Would you skimp on brakes?? What about cams?? What about engine components?

Your car is only as strong as it's weakest link.. I didn't have the extra dough to throw at them, so I went w/ the AGX's, since they still have adjustment... Not quite as much, and from what I understand the AGX's are still pretty sturdy, just not quite as flexible..

JT
Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I have the KYB AGX's and love them...very nice and stiff ride. Had them for about 8 months now and now problems...