4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

97 cobra vs 99, 01 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Default 97 cobra vs 99, 01 cobra

Ok, ive got a 99gt that needs a little work. theres a 97 cobra vert for sale. 63k miles, black and theyre asking 13000 for it. I was thinking about holding out for a 99,01 cobra but this may be a good deal. I any real difference in the 4v motors from 97 to 99,01?
Old 10-14-2006, 05:16 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 97 cobra vs 99, 01 cobra

Probably a decent amount of power but if you want a nice Cobra and also being a drop top is a plus go for it. A '99 and up will cost more. I don't know the power of the earlier Cobra but aren't the 99's 320HP?
How about the '96-'98's guys? mark
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

305HP for a '98 Cobra so it seems the cobra's did not suffer as much as the GT's did in PI and non PI motors if the '96-'98 Cobra's are even called NON-PI motors.
Have you driven it? I am interested on your impression of it compared to your GT. I'd love a Cobra but the Mach 1's interest me also and there is a red one in my town. They are getting big bucks though as i have not seen a mach 1 for under $20K or for under $22K for that matter. I saw an '04 with 1500 miles at a show late in the season, competetion orange and of course like new! $22K. mark
Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 PM
David_K
5th Gear Member

the 96-98 have great supercharger heads but they are too big for NA so if your gonna supercharge go with the 97 if your going na get the 01 although the heads dont flow as good they have more velocity
Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I had a 97..

1/4 times will be almost identical.. More power in the 99/01, but they have the IRS and are heavier.. the 97 is a solid axle car.. They are better in stock form for drag racing and cheaper to build the rear up.. dont have to worry about all the extra parts that go into making the IRS handle the power... Just control arms and subframe connectors and it will handle all the power you can put into it (unless you get forged rods/pistons and REALLY build it up).

The motor's in the 96-98 are VERY good. the Teksid forged alu blocks are beasts.. the weak point is the rods/pistons, but the block and crank are very good.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:23 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

I've got a 97. It had 66000 on it when I bought it. I got it for 9300, but I bought new tires a week arter I bought the car and the clutch, serp belt and idler pullies were just about shot too, so I guess it cost me about 10200 all said and done. I love my car...its plenty fast and its just about stock.

Matt
Old 10-14-2006, 09:55 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

13,000 for a 97?? where do u live...its prolly cuz the mileage is pretty slow..i would get an 01 one if i were u..even tho the 97 were built better.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97GT19

13,000 for a 97?? where do u live...its prolly cuz the mileage is pretty slow..i would get an 01 one if i were u..even tho the 97 were built better.
what do you mean by built better?

I live in CT the blue book on it is about 12700. I looked at it today just as the stealership closed. The guy had to run so I couldnt get the keys, im also curious how it compares to my gt. It looked immaculate, only mod I could see was exhaust, looked like borla.

If this car is gonna run almost identical 1/4 mile times as my GT then its pointless. Did you mean stock vs stock? Im assuming with the 4v heads I can bolt on a decent ammount of power compared to the same bolt ons on a 2v.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing looks aren't a big concern to you? I was in your same shoes about a year ago. Except i was comparing a 98 cobra with a 99 GT. When all was said and done I went with the 99 because of the looks (and it also had a fully forged motor with lots of other work already done.)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:31 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: David_K

the 96-98 have great supercharger heads but they are too big for NA so if your gonna supercharge go with the 97 if your going na get the 01 although the heads dont flow as good they have more velocity
More wonderful information from David_K... I agree here totally.

REFERENCE: http://www.fordvschevy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59042

Swirl Port: (93-97 Lincoln Mark VIII, pre 99 Lincoln Continental, 96-98 Cobra).
The first and only production Ford head with two (square primary, round secondary) intake ports per cylinder, these swirl port castings arrived first in the ’93 Lincoln Mark VIII. Aptly named, due to the way they promoted the incoming air to swirl into the combustion chambers, much like water running down the drain of a once full sink.

Through the years these heads have proven themselves to be excellent high rpm (8000rpm+) performers—mainly in power adder applications--since their tremendous combined intake port cross sectional area and volume (when combined, a full 55cc more than any other 4.6L head design) provide for exceptional power production in the upper regions of the tach. Ironically, it’s those same big, beautiful, twin ports that also prove to be the B head’s largest inherent design flaw. The extra intake port size has a tendency to kill low/mid rpm intake port velocity and power production—hence the use of Ford’s first IMRC (intake manifold runner control) intake on the 96-98 Cobra. By allowing air to reach only one of a B head’s twin intake valves, velocity, and therefore low/mid range torque production was restored in situations under 3250rpm. Later head designs are clearly superior in this regard, which happens to be the one of the most important considerations for those wanting a stout street motor.

There is also some controversy over the single fuel injector/dual intake port setup. Some claim insufficient air/fuel mixing because of the compromised design, however, others contest that the ability to make 1000+rwhp with only minor porting and some form of power adder is testament to the contrary. Whoever you believe, there is little doubt that even after as little as 8,000 miles, carbon and other deposits tend to form on the secondary ports, causing a major airflow impedance, as there is no fuel present to clean them. B heads feature a somewhat small stock exhaust port that really hinders flow in power adder applications. Major gains from porting come with a quality valve job, some pocket and lots of exhaust work. There really isn’t a lot of material to remove from the intake ports themselves.

The Bottom Line: B heads aren’t the best choice for a naturally aspirated street motor. In order to really shine, they need to be paired with a power adder and a short block that can sustain high horsepower and rpm levels. These, the oldest heads, may still be a great choice for full race applications.

[hr]

C/Tumble Port: (99/01 Cobra, 99 Lincoln Continental).
These second-generation Ford DOHC heads feature a single intake port per cylinder with a smaller cross sectional area that boosts incoming airflow velocity compared to previous years. To understand how C heads earn their “tumble port” designation, try to imagine an Olympic high diver doing repetitive front somersaults before cleanly entering a pool at the bottom. This controlled tumble allows for better air/fuel mixing than in the earlier swirl port heads. The new port design allowed for both substantial increases in midrange torque, and superior horsepower production under 8000rpm when compared with earlier heads. Combustion chamber size is also up 2cc.

The design downfall of C heads, and their larger (5.4L Navigator) cousins, is the relatively flat floor and utter lack of a short turn radius in the throat of the intake port. As such, the incoming air tends to overshoot the valves, making the port think the valves are smaller than they actually are. Some ‘99/’01 Cobra owners reported a “ticking/pinging” noise coming from the drivers side head of their cars. This is due to insufficient cooling around the #6, 7, and 8 cylinders that allowed the valves to overheat and therefore seat improperly. Ford remedied the situation by issuing a TSB to remove and replace the affected heads with a version that featured altered coolant flow.

C heads feature a small exhaust port much like Ford’s earlier swirl port heads, but unlike in B heads, both the intake (throat region) and exhaust ports can see extensive porting work. However, removing too much material from the intake port (mouth region) of a tumble port head will kill velocity very quickly, so make sure your head porter knows what they are doing!

The Bottom Line: C heads remain a viable performance upgrade for those looking for more punch in their street driven 4.6L four valve, without having to pay new part prices for the ’03 DOHC or FR500 versions. The increased midrange torque production and greater overall area under the power curve (when compared to swirl port heads) will enhance the performance of a street/strip driven (8,000rpm and under) modular regardless of application.

Quick Reply: 97 cobra vs 99, 01 cobra