4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

real hood scoop conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM
denniz
1st Gear Member

Default real hood scoop conversion

i have a 04 gt and i want to make my hood scoop real... is this a good idea? i have connections to open the hole for free...

just wondering if something bad can happen or if its a good idea... thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: real hood scoop conversion

Its really not worth all the hassle to do it, better off just to buy the mach1 esque kit or just sucking it up and sticking with the fake one.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:41 PM
denniz
1st Gear Member

well i can get the hole cut for free so? and its a friend of mine that is doing it.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:44 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

I heard a number of opinions. If you cut it, you lose strength in the hood. You wont get any hp gains, seeing as how the air intake is in the fender. However, I was considering doing this just for a heat vent to cool the damn engine. With the tiny grill the stangs have, its really hard to get air moving inside the engine bay, and a big hole on top would definatly help. But, youre also gonna get a ton of water in there when it rains or you wash it. Soooooo, there are pros and cons. Its up to you what you want to do.

Matt
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 PM
stang2000
5th Gear Member

It's not functional even with a hole cut in it. Your choice, your car. It will not benefit you in any way, but if you're just going for a different look, then maybe that's the ticket, besides the excess water that may get into the engine.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:47 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang2000

It's not functional even with a hole cut in it. Your choice, your car. It will not benefit you in any way, but if you're just going for a different look, then maybe that's the ticket, besides the excess water that may get into the engine.

It would be kind of functional, just as a means for heat to escape from the engine bay, which might...and i say again might.....do something for performance.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:49 PM
denniz
1st Gear Member

well my problem is i put a billet grill on it and the air going all in the scoop messed up my scoop and broke it a little bit..
and now on the highway it flaps up and down and its not a pretty sight... i think it might break off soon so i wanted to open it up and
make the drag go away and reglue the broken peice... i reglued it before but the high speed winds breaks it again... thats why i want to open the hole....
Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Well pull it off before it flys off and smashes through your windshield and decapitates you, or hits someone elses car. Figure it out with the thing not an immediate threat to anyone on the road way.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:04 AM
strtfab87
1st Gear Member

IM agreeing wiht all teh others. I doubt highly it will do anything for you, and its not worht your money to get the mach 1 conversion. Why dont you just buy a new hoodschoop and say screw the billet insert
Old 10-16-2006, 12:20 AM
03IronPony
1st Gear Member

I dont know about that whole functional hood scoop doing it yourself. I have a kit that is made by March called a ram air kit. The kit runs from under the bumper up the fender directly to the intake. It is a pretty basic setup and somewhat cheap, however there was some minor trimming on the lip under the bumper. That would be an option for maby a few hp and more air circulation. If not i would do the Mach 1 kit.

Quick Reply: real hood scoop conversion