4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Parking Brake Not Releasing

Old 10-16-2006, 12:36 AM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Default Parking Brake Not Releasing

My 96 GT's parking brake does not release on the passanger side. What could the problem be? Is there any recalls on this? Also when the parking brake is activated it is very weak and I have to pull it all the way to the top to get it to engage. I need to fix this asap and I don't know where to begin..
Old 10-16-2006, 12:39 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Parking Brake Not Releasing

ORIGINAL: xx9gt6xx

My 96 GT's parking brake does not release on the passanger side. What could the problem be? Is there any recalls on this? Also when the parking brake is activated it is very weak and I have to pull it all the way to the top to get it to engage. I need to fix this asap and I don't know where to begin..
Welcome to my world.. It seems like my parking brake doesn't hold my car unless it's pulled pretty good.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

how do u know if it holds ur car or not if ur on leveled ground ??
Old 10-16-2006, 04:54 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

My driveway isn't flat. It won't hold on the small incline of my driveway. But besides the fact, the guys that rebuilt my posi said that the reason why it wore out so fast was because the passanger side wasn't fully releasing which would wear the clutch plates inside the differential. I'm just trying to figure out how to fix the sticking brake and to see if anyone out there can help me diagnose the problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Ryano

I have asked this same thing! My daughter's 95 brake actuator ( the thing that coil spring moves)sticks only on the passenger side. All brake parts have been replaced both sides, also replaced brake cable on pass side, still sticks! I have to leave it disconnected to drive the car.

When she was driving it (asis) with the old cable on I told her not to use the e-brake, she forgot a few times and had to go rescue her with a screw driver and crawl under the car and pry the brake actuator rearward to release.

Took the car to Ford yesterday to check for recall and they said no, we got the car used so that may be why. There is a recall for the parking brake listed at the top of this page, I really dont know if this has anything to do with our problem though.

The fix for this Im not sure of yet. I have searched a lot of Mustang sites and see no direct answer, the Hayes manual gives a discription of how to replace a cable that gives some info but not enough. There seems to be alot of Lockjaw reguarding this problem. Im going to try the Chilton manual next! If I hear of any thing I will come back to this post, until we find a fix we are going to use a brick for parking .
Good luck
Denny
Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Ryano that could very well be a caliper problem... Same for you, 96gt... You can start by adjusting/replacing the parking brake cable (replacing it won't be too bad) and if it's still sticking just replace the caliper that is causing the problem. Your brake pads on that side are going to wear out a LOT faster than the clutch packs in the diff if it is sticking.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Ryano

The caliper is new! New cable also!, The hyd brakes work good. am I missing something here? Its releasing the brake entiely where Im having problems. Tell me more please. I have never seen a parking brake system like this before, so far I dont like it.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Ryano

ORIGINAL: xx9gt6xx

From what I understand it sounds like you have 2 problems!

The first is the non-releasing on pass side. You and I have the same problem. I havent had a chance to get the car up on the rack for a few days, but my next step is to apply the hand brake then release it and check out the exact position of the Brake actuator, take a screw driver and see if you can open it more( take a note of how much you can move it)! With that in mind, what would cause this to happen? The only thing I have been able to come up with is , there is not enough slack in the FRONT cable located a the hand brake, or the REAR cable for that side is binding . I have replaced only 1 cable so far and that was for the pass side. The new cable changed nothing. Now I have to get it back up on the rack and do some more checking.

The second problem may have to do with the first!
Check the equalizer just behind the trans, if the hand brake is only grabbing 1 side tight (pass side)it may be that on the drivers side it not getting enought bite, you equlizer will look cocked to one side.

There is no manual adjustment for the hand brake its self adjusting.

let us know how this works out.