4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

garaged mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 PM
footpedal
1st Gear Member

Default RE: garaged mustang gt

ORIGINAL: 03fireredstang

i just drive mine on the weekends, but just to be safe i crank it every day and also just to listen to it rumble
I have to drive mine on weekends only too, my job is on one of the most crappiest lots and it would just be so dirty everyday, so i really don't have a choice, i'd like to drive it everyday, but washing it everyday would drive me nutzs!!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:56 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BraMas

How and Why do you guys do this? I will never understand buying a car you love and not drive it. It's not like Mustangs are rare or anything. IMO cars are made to be driven and enjoyed.

I only drive mine probably 2-3 times a month. Lots of time put in at work, plus all the money/time invested in the car.

Who wants to wear it out and start over? I know I sure don't.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:26 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

My car is kept in my garage all week and only driven on nice days on weekends.

It is not used during the winter either.
When you put it away change the oil and pour in fuel stabilizer and then fill it.

I start it every weekend to keep the engine internals oiled.

I have 3 cars so I do not need to drive it every day.

BraMas - the car is not rare now. But kept in good shape for many years to come it may become rare.
Old 70's Mach 1's were not rare cars in their day but they are now.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

yea...personally I just cant resist my car. granted...im in college and its my only car...but even if it wasnt...i dont think id be able to let it sits for months. hell...letting it sit for days would be hard for me.

its your car, have some fun with it.
+1... +1 +1 +1!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:20 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I wonder when people are going to start realizing, that if you have your car sitting, not moveing, over the winter (4-5 months) that you DONT need to go out and start it every weekend.

I drive my 99GT as a DD in teh summer, and its wrapped/bagged/contained completely out of sight in teh garage for the entire winter, and is gotten back out, oil rechanged, adn its back to DD status come the start of April.. so it sits about 5-5 1/2 months

As for the why would you not drive it part..

Im sure LOTS of people just like you said the same thing back in the late 60's and early 70's, so its people like you that have the completely restored classics or even ones that need attention , while guys like the thread starter have the 60,000 mile completely original 428 Mach 1 that I can't afford now
Old 10-17-2006, 04:45 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jkgt3
I own a 2001 mustang gt and it has only 37,000 miles on it. my question is, Is it bad to leave the stang in the garage for months on end with out driving it. I start it once a week but I have a second vehicle and a work vehicle so I don't want to drive the mustang alot. Im just afraid by not driving it all the time im going to harm the engine. I will be honest and say that I hate seeing it get dirty and I want to try and keep as many miles off of it as possible. I also would be devistated if anything ever happened to it. Should I just suck it up and drive it or does anyone else feel the same way.
I don't think its good to leave a car sitting that long unless you prepare it correctly. Starting it and not driving it is detrimental to the engine and the other parts, they need to be put into motion to keep them lubricated. I will not be driving mine in the Michigan winter except on nice dry days. No rain or snow. I will make sure it gets some exercise every week though. I will not drive my Mustang in the rain at all if I can help it. I have about 2200 miles on my 07 and its only felt rain twice. Of course I can do this because I can drive my other car on bad days.

I'm no expert on maintenance, this is just my philosophy, my way of keeping my Mustang as pristine as I can. But I believe it has to be driven so there is no corrosive damage while hibernating.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:27 PM
fishyducky
2nd Gear Member

mine sits under a cover and is only driven every other weekend. never in the rain. i go out and start it and let it idle up to running temp every couple days to keep the oil circulating and keep the fuel going through the fuel system, but thats about it.