4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 AM
brenstang
1st Gear Member

Default coolant leak

i have a 96gt with 46000 miles on it, and anyways i was driving to work and i was doing about 55mph and it backfired and it looked like a little bit of white smoke came out the tail pipes, and the coolant light came on, so i pulled over just up the road a bit, and by then steam was coming out from under the hood and i had a trail of coolant, so i was right next to a gas station and poured water in to see where it was leaking and its somewhere in the back of the motor, and it leaks very fast,. i added water and started it for a second and it had leaked all out, anyone have any ideas what it may be, i havent had time to look at it anymore i had it towed home, and my dad was looking at it for a little bit and said maybe it was the intake manifold which im hoping it to be. but whats it sound like to you?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:08 AM
scubasteve20

Default RE: coolant leak

get a mirror and check all of your freeze plugs, that's the first place I would check
Old 10-18-2006, 06:15 AM
brenstang
1st Gear Member

thats the first thing my dad said on the phone freeze plug, say that was the case how hard is it to install new freeze plugs
Old 10-18-2006, 06:26 AM
BmX
1st Gear Member

what kind of intake manifold do you have/

plastic crossover or the aluminum.

This would be my guess:

https://mustangforums.com/m_579361/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=4.6...p=mss&ei=UTF-8
Old 10-18-2006, 06:50 AM
scubasteve20

I beleive the only place the plastic ones cracked was on the front crossover tube. Are you sure its coming from the back of the motor? Also, check your heater hoses and see if there's a puddle of coolant under the intake manifold.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 AM
BmX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scubasteve20

I beleive the only place the plastic ones cracked was on the front crossover tube. Are you sure its coming from the back of the motor? Also, check your heater hoses and see if there's a puddle of coolant under the intake manifold.
Dunno, mine cracked @ the thermostat housing.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 AM
scubasteve20

OK, I meant the whole crossover tube section of the manifold. The crossover runs between the fron of both heads and has the thermostat housing molded into it on the driver's side.

BTW: Freeze plugs can be easy or rather difficult to replace depending on which one. If it is a freeze plug, you need to find out why it blew out.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

could just be one of the hose's broke at the rear...ie; heater return line...
Old 10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
brenstang
1st Gear Member

thanks for all the replys, i went out and looked at it today and the plastic cross over is cracked pretty bad.. so i went ahead and ordered a pi intake with all the parts i need to swap it, so im kinda happy in a way that when i get the car done it will have more power... thanks brenden
Old 10-18-2006, 05:42 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

could just be one of the hose's broke at the rear...ie; heater return line...

+1..

Not to hijack, but I drove my car for the first time in 2 weeks, and noticed a few weeks ago, that the dreaded Intake Leak is upon me... It doesn't look too bad however.....

I continue to get coolant smell when I turn off the car, followed by a lot of bubbling sound, like air is getting into the system... Also, at low end RPM's, the car misfire slightly, under light load..

I wonder if my T-Stat housing is going to give quicker than I anticipated... It sucks too, because I have to drive it this weekend on a fairly long trip, since my truck's brakes decided to start seizing intermittently..

JT

Quick Reply: coolant leak