4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spark plug popped out of cylinder #2 and wont go back in ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Spark plug popped out of cylinder #2 and wont go back in ??

ORIGINAL: BBKBadBoy

about 4 months ago i switched out the Motorcraft plugs with some NGK Iridium TR55IX, well yesterday car was running fine for the most part until later on that night, i went to the spur station to get some gas, then headed to St. Rose, on the way there i noticed the car making a strange noise sorta like a valve tap. On my way back home the car started up with a light tap at first and then it started running smooth again, a couple of minutes later as im pulling away from the redlight i hear what seems to be a bad misfire/knocking noise. i pull over and check it out, the oil level was good and then i started the car back up and noticed a little bit of spark coming from cylinder #2, i had no tools with me so i drove it home with the bad misfire, it was sorta starting to sound like a bad exhuast leak on the way home. Today, i headed to work to try to get down to the middle of it, when i noticed the ignition coil on cylinder #2 had been knocked out of place and the boots were all torn up and the spark plug was basically sitting out of the cylinder head, the bottom of the plug where you gap it at was smashed in and the top of the plug where the coil makes connection had came off, so i tried to put a new plug in there and the threads arent catching does anyone have any idea of how this can be resolved im trying to find something to re-tread it but im tryna make sure i get the exact size i need
I think the same thing is wrong wiht my car. I thought it was an exhaust leak but I checked everything and its either the spark plugs I put in or a vacum leak.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Texan

To fix this, see my post here: Helicoil Fix on Spark Plug Hole...with Cylinder on car!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Crap like this is the exact reason as to why Ford may not be producing any cars at this time next year.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Tapeuup
I ♥ Acer

My #3 was making the exhaust leak noise but I caught it before it blew out, I didn't know it was such a reoccurring problem. Mine did it at 45000 miles so if some of you are getting close to that or beyond I would recommend checking it.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:59 AM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tapeuup

My #3 was making the exhaust leak noise but I caught it before it blew out, I didn't know it was such a reoccurring problem. Mine did it at 45000 miles so if some of you are getting close to that or beyond I would recommend checking it.
After i started reading about this crap a few years ago i started checking my plugs atleast once a month to make sure they are tight. I have only found one slightly loose one time but if i blow a plug out of my $2000 heads its gonna suck.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:58 AM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

i did a write up about this a couple of months back let me find it. i went step by step. My car blew out 2 within a months time. so yeah...
Old 12-19-2006, 04:03 AM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

There you go... Have fun....

This fix works with the Cylinder on the car...my sparkplug was in an easy access place, you might have to remove other stuff to get to yours...good luck!

I bought the 14 x 1.25MM Helicoil kit for $78.00. It comes with a tap, 5 Helicoils, and the insertion tube and tool. I had to grind down the edges of the insertion tube so it would fit in the spark plug(cylinder) hole on the 4.6L SOHC Head. The Kit I bought is from Perma-Coil, and is kit part number 1214-414. You can also buy just the inserts if you run out... (I think helicoil is a different brand but these are the same insert type and are high quality.)
Find it here: Perma-Coil Site for this Kit

Once I did that, I didn't have to drill the hole, the tap was the right size, I just tapped the existing hole with the toolkit's provided tap. First of course, I made sure the piston was not at TDC so as to not hit it with the tap. I positioned the piston (kicking the starter with wires to all 8 coils disconnected, to get the piston to about 1/2 way to TDC). That way I could also use another trick...a 3/8" tube taped (duct tape works well...) to my shop vac so I could vacuum the aluminum cuttings out of the cylinder.

Once I tapped the hole, I carefully put the helicoil into the insertion tube, stuck it down the spark plug hole, then screwed it in with the kit's provided tool. I also was careful to not screw the helicoil in too much. I counted the threads it had and made sure I turned the insertion tool that number of full turns to get the helicoil into position so the top thread was just below the start of the hole. This way once you put in the plug, it stops in the same position as before it's just that it now has 10 threads instead of 3 or 4 to hold it in. It is also a good idea to put red locktite on the inside of the new tapped hole before inserting the helicoil so it will lock into place and not come loose later. Most of the time these inserts will reatin their position but locktite is a safety precaution. Some people use epoxy to do the same, JB Weld, slow setup type, is good for this but a bit messy to get into the hole that far down...
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

Just curious but have you changed your plugs recently? Mine had the same thing and I torqued mine down to spec and it still blew. I used the timesert and it worked just fine.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:58 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

to get the metal shaving out use an air compressor and a magnet.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:21 AM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

Hmmmmmm did anyone here read this part: the bottom of the plug where you gap it at was smashed in.

I hate to say it but unless that happened when the plug flew out your piston hit that plug and knocked it out OR piston hit valve and valve hit plug. That happened to my stock motor. I hope im wrong but it sounds like you stretched a piston. When my mechanic saw it he said "Yep #2 is the usual suspect". For some reason that cylinder has issues.

Quick Reply: Spark plug popped out of cylinder #2 and wont go back in ??