4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Read Seans book last night......little dissappointed

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default Read Seans book last night......little dissappointed

Hey every one,

In order to stop annoying the forum with redundant questions I took some of your advice and got Sean Hylands book. Well not what I expected. Basically boiled down to get a really really expensive block, some really really expensive svo heads, and quite possibly the most expensive manifold known to man, and voila, go fast. Yes there was good info about comp ratings and good info about the differances between the systems, but all in all not a lot of revalations. This is a great book if you want to do your own machining while building the motor, but for us shlubs that don't have our own cnc tooling it was just good general knowledge. I guess the quality of info on this forum is pretty high as most of the really pertinant info I had heard discussed on this borad before anyway.

The only real deviation between what Sean thinks and this board, is boosting and compression. If I read correctly he suggests staying at a higer comp while using a vortech/ati/procharger system, as long as bottom end is built correctly, it helps with low end torque. Roots and screw systems need lower comp.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:19 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Read Seans book last night......little dissappointed

Its a good read but not the bible of 4.6 or end all of end all book of knowledge. You will find yourself referencing it often as you read threads online and want to know Compression Ratio's etc. Now Sean Hyland builds high end race engines (well atleast he did when this book was written and Scott & Jim still worked for him...now they have their own shop called VT Engines ) so some of what he will suggest doesn't pertain to what most of us will do with our cars but you should be able to take that knowledge and transfer it to a strret version.
Its definately worth having if you are planning on making more HP with your car.
Another decent book is by Richard Holdener describing the dyno gains of alot of bolt ons/intakes etc.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

Its a good read but not the bible of 4.6 or end all of end all book of knowledge. You will find yourself referencing it often as you read threads online and want to know Compression Ratio's etc. Now Sean Hyland builds high end race engines (well atleast he did when this book was written and Scott & Jim still worked for him...now they have their own shop called VT Engines ) so some of what he will suggest doesn't pertain to what most of us will do with our cars but you should be able to take that knowledge and transfer it to a strret version.
Its definately worth having if you are planning on making more HP with your car.
Another decent book is by Richard Holdener describing the dyno gains of alot of bolt ons/intakes etc.
Yeah I agree about the race engine angle. Like I said if you were doing all the machining, then wow this is a great referance.

But even at that I did take away a better understanding of the motor, some knowledge is better than no knowledge.

That interesting about VT, I've been looking at their heads, but they ship with no rockers...wtf. I guess they would fully assemble upon request, or I could trow a set of Jessels on, but I likes bolt on better.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:39 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

none of the companies that sell P&P'd 4.6 heads come with lifters/rockers(followers)...you swap the ones from your heads over. I've only seen one or 2 companies make aftermarket sets and they are usually solid lifter kits for high RPM Cobra race cars and won't show much benefit for a street driven 2V. And they are expensive!