4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

clutch cable, help me out guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:18 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default clutch cable, help me out guys

I bought an adjustable clutch cable from americanmuscle.com. It is the steeda one and here's the link: http://www.americanmuscle.com/stadclca96.html

If you look at the threaded end of it, there are two nuts missing in the picture. One is about half an inch long and the other is about a quater of an inch long. The way my buddy set this up is he hooked the cable up to the clutch, through the fire wall, hooked the mount where it was supposed to go, put that plastic piece into the hole on the side of the tranny and put the threaded rod into the fork that connects to the clutch. BTW, I am running a stock clutch. The way this thing hooks on to that fork is by these two nuts. The bigger one goes on first, and then the smaller one. They tighten and loosen the same way. He says that they will stay there and won't rattle off, but I'm not so sure. I put a locking washer on there before I put the nuts on, just in case. Does anyone have this cable? Am I being too paranoid? Is there anything I am overlooking? Is this set up completly wrong? I need to drive about six hundred miles on Saturday morning, so I need to know if this thing is going to hold. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 12:30 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch cable, help me out guys

Are you serious?? Not a single person knows about this thing?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:37 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

Just to let you know. it sounds a little off. But i have the same cable that i bough from another company. I have not installed it yet. I changed out my clutch about 2,000 miles ago and the cable on it now just has like a washer type of thing on the end. I would not put one nut on each side, i would screw the two nuts as tight as i could and have them on the other side of the fork.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

When i bought mine it said it was a steeda adjustable, and its the same one in that pic, but i dont see where you adjust it. OHHH one of the adjustments is the nuts. You can loosen them both up and move it closer or futher away.....
Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

That's the question. If I move them further away, won't they rattle off? Also, I think my clutch is getting to the end of it's life. If I tighten those nuts all the way to the fork and put pressure on it, the clutch won't engage all the way. It will make the car run, but if I give it any gas more than it needs, the clutch will slip. So, I have to keep them kind of loose. I just want to know if the nuts will fall off from vibrations.

Are there any locking nuts made for this reason? I ask because in my nitro R/C hobby, we have nuts that have a silicone additive in the threads so when you put them on a bolt, they WILL NOT rattle off. It just doesn't happen. Is there anything like this made for cars?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:54 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

yea its called locktight, or threadlock. You can get it in either red or blue.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:55 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

let me know what you come up with. PM me or something but i want to know so ill know when i put my cable on.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:39 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

You read my mind. I have some thread lock and was planning on using it tonight. It has worked well for the bolts on the engines in my toy cars and they run from 12,000 to 20,000 rpm. I hope it will work. We'll find out after this weekend. I'll let you know what happens, though.

If anyone else has any other insight, let me know. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:38 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 01-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Stanos

Im not sure if you got an answer yet but i can tell you how to use the two nuts. The larger nut goes on first, that is where you make the adjustment to the length of the cable. once you get it adjusted where you like it then tighten down the smaller nut on top of it makng sure to use another wrench to prevent the adjusting nut (big nut) from moving. the two nuts torqed against eachother keep them in place. if your still worried about it slipping then by al means use some locktite.

Quick Reply: clutch cable, help me out guys