4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ran out of gas! DAMN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:24 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default ran out of gas! DAMN!

well it all started yesterday when i was going home from school and thought i should get gas in the morning (today) because it was in the red. so this morning i start her up and drive about 3 miles and look down and the needle is just a hair above 1/8 tank so i was like thats cool so i thought i had like at least 3 gallons left. when i get to school i look down and it is back on the red but i was like oh well still plenty to get to a gas station on the way home. then after school i start up and it's not in the red but just above it, so when i get on the highway it actually drifts below the red then i starts to shake (engine) stuggling to suck up fumes so i downshift to fourth to try and get more fuel in but then it dies so im coasting (luckily i got to change lanes so i could get onto the shoulder) i finally stop right before and exit. no one even stopped to give me some gas or give me a ride to get gas. so i walk about 1.5 miles to a gas station and when im walking down the end of the exit ramp i see a state trooper and i was like that would have been helpful. turns out he did stop because when i got to my car there was orange marker all over my windows that was what made me maddest because i wasn't even gone 20 minutes and they already marked my car up and that stuff doesn't come off easily. i sat there wipping it with my hands because im not driving around with orange check marks all over.
i wanted to know if any of your gas gauges drift so dramatically like mine? it sucks i never know where my gas is because i have no warning light either and it drifts soo much. sorry so long but i had to tell the whole story, man i was pissed.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:28 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ran out of gas! DAMN!

yea mine does that but mostly when its full..... itll say its full for a long time then ill turn my car off adn turn it back on and itll drop dramatically depending on how much i drive. but im glad its not when im on low but i never let my car go beneath a quarter tank unles im flat broke like i am now i got $2 dollars in my name DAMN BILLS!!!![:@]
Old 10-20-2006, 08:30 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

what and who marked your car. .........
Old 10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
98GTpony
3rd Gear Member

yea it happens to me too. it pisses me off so bad because i never know where its at
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
ripper
3rd Gear Member

Make sure you change the fuel filter now cause you sucked up all the crap off the bottom of your tank[:'(]
Old 10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

That doesn't seem normal, you may want to go and get your tank and what not chekced out. There may be something wrong causing the needle to jump around like that. I don't have any trouble with mine.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:39 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

LOL, why does that seem to happen to all mustang owners?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:58 PM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

the state strooper marked my car. you know how you see those cars that are abbanded and have the check mark and a date it has to be moved by, and if it isn't a tow truck comes to come pick up the car?
that was a question i forgot to ask, could anything major happen to my engine since i sucked the tank dry? should i really consider changing the fuel filter?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

It's a great way to ruin a perfectly fine fuel pump.

Also, some of the crap that settles @ the bottom of your tank most likely found it's way to your fuel filter.

Also don't forget, running on a low tank of gas like that can make you run extremely lean and could make the situation farrrrrr worse than walking to a gas station...

Don't blame your gauge, everyones gauges are inaccurate. Reset your tripometer, get a good idea of what your car gets for gas mileage driving casually & driving it hard and you'll be able to keep yourself out of those situations.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

yea, these gauges can be real inaccurate sometimes, if i park on a slope with a little less than a 1/4 tank the light will be on when i start it up again untill i get onto level ground [&:]

Quick Reply: ran out of gas! DAMN!