4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cylinder Heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cylinder Heads

i'm pretty sure most, if not all of the aftermarket 4.6 heads are just worked over factory heads
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 PM
avallone212

Question... I have 2001 Mustang GT... I'm no hardcore motorhead, but I do like to work on my car for things that I am able to do.

Right now, my car is at the dealer... apparently, I need a new head...$2,900.

I asked if this is job I could do myself, but they said that it would be quite difficult.

What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

is the 2900 for parts and labor? you could buy a set of new p.i. heads for about 700, a nice set of cams for 600 or so, the head changing kit for about 150, and do it yourself for around 1500, and you'd have 1400 left to have the heads port/polished or whatever you'd wanna spend it on. Or you could find out what is wrong with that head, have your current heads machined and that one fixed in the process, and really save alot of money. $2,900 for one head is rediculous IMO. I would explore all my options if i was in your shoes.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 PM
avallone212

The 2900 is for parts and labor.

I asked the service rep at Miller Ford for any advice, but I'll ask you.

I've done some work on my car, basic stuff like brakes and plugs and replaced the radiator, but nothing as complex as the heads.

I was thinking that it would be basically undoing parts until I could get to the bolts holding the head in place and then simply doing a swap out (along with the head gasket while I was at it), but he dissauded me from attempting citing that one wrong mistake in setting any one of three belts could cause a catastrophe.

What do you think?

I don't doubt anything he said, but with a proper set of instructions, I feel pretty confident.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:20 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avallone212

The 2900 is for parts and labor.

I asked the service rep at Miller Ford for any advice, but I'll ask you.

I've done some work on my car, basic stuff like brakes and plugs and replaced the radiator, but nothing as complex as the heads.

I was thinking that it would be basically undoing parts until I could get to the bolts holding the head in place and then simply doing a swap out (along with the head gasket while I was at it), but he dissauded me from attempting citing that one wrong mistake in setting any one of three belts could cause a catastrophe.

What do you think?

I don't doubt anything he said, but with a proper set of instructions, I feel pretty confident.

When I started my long trek I was at about the same experience level as you are now. If you are fairly mechanically inclined I don't think you will have to much trouble. You might want to pick up a haynes manual or something if you aren't familiar with what is going on beneath the valve covers.

I'm not sure what 3 belts this guys talking about. There are no belts on a 4.6 other then the serpentine belt. There are timing chains but not belts. Also, if you replace your head it is a good idea to do the head gasket like you said but your also going to HAVE TO replace the head bolts because they are torque to yield bolts(one time use).
Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 PM
jmmorgan82
3rd Gear Member

haynes manual, forums like this, patience, and the right tools, I think most people could prob do it
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Is it worth getting new ones or just getting the stock heads ported and polished?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:03 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

imo, and flame away,aftermarket heads arent worth the $$$ unless you are going to do a ***** out n/a engine. new fl or vt are 2000, put another 500 in and you have a used blower system. I would get your head either repaired or some stockers. I am skeptical of the advantaegs to PP, if you are going full out bolt on, then may be worth it, but take them to someone who knows how to port 2v modular heads, not Joe down at the machine shop. But if you are stuck and need to replace, get the 700 jobbers and some stage 2 cams and you are on your way. again, jmo, and i dont know nothing just what i have read. but that is what i would do.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
korn253
3rd Gear Member

http://foxlake.accrisoft.com//index.php

Thats supposed to be the best place to get heads, plus they have the p 51 intake.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

In a related question...

The MMR site says that if you install the comp cams 270 or 278 camshafts, you have to install notched pistons. I've never seen that on any web site or on any MF post. Does anyone know if that's accurate?

Quick Reply: Cylinder Heads