4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 AM
scubasteve20

Default Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE*

Hi again. Within the past month or so I've been posting info & questions about my motor swap. I wound up with a 2004 PI motor and the rest of the stuff in my sig. Well, I finally coughed up the $550 to get her on the dyno and with 93 octane I'm getting 252.48 rwhp and 295.2 rwtq. I think these are pretty good numbers considering the only mods that affect the engine are the exhaust and air filter and the tune wasn't too crazy. Eventually I'd like to see 300 rwhp and around 340 rwtq, I'm thinking cams,TB, plenum, UDP's, true CAI and shorties should get me there. What do y'all think??? I really want to keep it N/A... any suggestions? Thanks to all who provided insight on this project.

Steve

BTW: Tune was from Tony at HP Performance in Orange Park, FL using SCT Xcal II.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Dingo0079
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE*

has that got headers because that is good numbers mine only made 240 hp and 280 with offroad prochamber steeda cai flows and a sniper 93 octane tune.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I'm by no means calling you a liar and I know my car is a little down on torque for some reason. I just don't get how with an almost stock car you make those numbers and I have a full bolt on car with cams and your actually making more torque then I am?

Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

I'm by no means calling you a liar and I know my car is a little down on torque for some reason. I just don't get how with an almost stock car you make those numbers and I have a full bolt on car with cams and your actually making more torque then I am?

A little down? I would say you are way down on torque. Are you running a '96 motor in your '96? If so, I think your non-PI vs. his PI would be a significant difference. My PI ran 251 rwhp/288 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with exhaust (X, catabck, no headers), JLT, and Steeda UDP's as a baseline before my SC install. You also need to rememeber that the same model dyno will read different numbers in different conditions.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:22 AM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

As far as dyno numbers go when I had my Talon Turbo mag took a car to 6 dyno shops on the same day and with 6 of the samne brand of dyno's they got as much as a 30hp difference from the low to the high. They recommended the dyno be used as a tuning device rather than a says all for a particular car's power.
To the thread starter I would say not to expect much from UDP's, TB/plenum or the shorties. I can speak from experience for the TB/plenum as I added a 75mm BBK Tb/plkenum and got no discernable difference using a passport timer. Yes I know that these types of timers are not the best way to measure times but when you don't have a track to go to I need something to use as a way to see if mods/tunes affect power. Same for the UDP's. Nothing. However in all fairness the TB/plenum and UDP's combined on dyno tests gave 7 and 5 HP gains which isn't a whole lot but with a 2v anything helps! From what I have read long tubes are the way to go and even then they are not a huge gain either and that comes from a vendor who said they should be the last mod when lookng for the last bit of power possible from the 2v so I would go long tube and sell the mid pipe if needed. Cams are good for 20HP if you are going stage 2, just my guess. So I would guess a 50HP gain with the additional parts if you go long tube. Mark
Old 10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

A little down? I would say you are way down on torque. Are you running a '96 motor in your '96? If so, I think your non-PI vs. his PI would be a significant difference. My PI ran 251 rwhp/288 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with exhaust (X, catabck, no headers), JLT, and Steeda UDP's as a baseline before my SC install. You also need to rememeber that the same model dyno will read different numbers in different conditions.
I am using my 96 short block with a pi swap and shm stage 1 cams. I really don't get why I'm so low on torque compared to most peoples cars. I see mild bolt on gt's that have as much torque as I do. I really hope it's just the differences in the dyno otherwise I've been spending a lot of money for nothing. I guess all my torque problems will be fixed when i get the 5.4 up and running though
Old 10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

cams ususally take some torque no? I have a friend that has a full bolt on 01 GT. LTs, exhaust, intake, tb, plenum, etc. He put VT stage 1 cams in and loss some torque. With 4.30s (anything over 3.73 you lose #s on the dyno) he put down 295.6 rwhp (just a predator tune)....I don't remember the torque off hand, but I know he had a decent amount less with the cams. Car has gone 12.5 with rear seat delete.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Miliock

cams ususally take some torque no? I have a friend that has a full bolt on 01 GT. LTs, exhaust, intake, tb, plenum, etc. He put VT stage 1 cams in and loss some torque. With 4.30s (anything over 3.73 you lose #s on the dyno) he put down 295.6 rwhp (just a predator tune)....I don't remember the torque off hand, but I know he had a decent amount less with the cams. Car has gone 12.5 with rear seat delete.
I guess I don't know about loosing torque with cams because when I did my dyno pulls I already had the cams and the 4.10's.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
scubasteve20

Yeah, there's something to be said for dyno errors. I decided before I went that I would be happy to see 250 rwhp as a best case scenario. I have 3.73's too so that might be a part of it, I've seen different dyno number when all that was done was a gear swap. We got 4 runs and they were 247 on the low end and 252 was the highest. I don't really care too much about the numbers, I just had to get it tuned to get it running right but it is nice to get an idea of what I'm putting down. Anyway, I can really tell that the new motor is MUCH stronger than the old '97 and if you don't have a dyno tune, make that one of your priorities... HUGE difference! I'm happy with the car and Im still defining my plans for future upgrades.

Steve
Old 10-25-2006, 07:16 AM
scubasteve20

BTW: Our ambient temps for that day were a cozy 71 degrees with 28% humidity. That and the fact that a guy working on the lights in the shop hitting the wrong breaker and killing the dyno computer, thus giving the car 20 mins. to cool down probably played a part too. The guy tuning it said he was kinda surprised by the #'s and he prolly runs 5-10 sessions a day so it can't be all that far off. Maybe I got ahold of a super secret SVT 2v motor that slipped through the cracks!! j/k

Steve

Quick Reply: Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE*