MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE* (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/196958-motor-swap-dyno-tune-numbers-update.html)

scubasteve20 10-24-2006 06:18 AM

Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE*

Hi again. Within the past month or so I've been posting info & questions about my motor swap. I wound up with a 2004 PI motor and the rest of the stuff in my sig. Well, I finally coughed up the $550 to get her on the dyno and with 93 octane I'm getting 252.48 rwhp and 295.2 rwtq. I think these are pretty good numbers considering the only mods that affect the engine are the exhaust and air filter and the tune wasn't too crazy.;) Eventually I'd like to see 300 rwhp and around 340 rwtq, I'm thinking cams,TB, plenum, UDP's, true CAI and shorties should get me there. What do y'all think??? I really want to keep it N/A... any suggestions? Thanks to all who provided insight on this project.

Steve

BTW: Tune was from Tony at HP Performance in Orange Park, FL using SCT Xcal II.

Dingo0079 10-24-2006 10:03 AM

RE: Motor swap/dyno tune numbers *UPDATE*

has that got headers because that is good numbers mine only made 240 hp and 280 with offroad prochamber steeda cai flows and a sniper 93 octane tune.

amoosenamedhank 10-24-2006 10:55 AM

I'm by no means calling you a liar and I know my car is a little down on torque for some reason. I just don't get how with an almost stock car you make those numbers and I have a full bolt on car with cams and your actually making more torque then I am?

newb2000GT 10-24-2006 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

I'm by no means calling you a liar and I know my car is a little down on torque for some reason. I just don't get how with an almost stock car you make those numbers and I have a full bolt on car with cams and your actually making more torque then I am?

A little down? I would say you are way down on torque. Are you running a '96 motor in your '96? If so, I think your non-PI vs. his PI would be a significant difference. My PI ran 251 rwhp/288 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with exhaust (X, catabck, no headers), JLT, and Steeda UDP's as a baseline before my SC install. You also need to rememeber that the same model dyno will read different numbers in different conditions.

sweet99 10-24-2006 11:22 AM

As far as dyno numbers go when I had my Talon Turbo mag took a car to 6 dyno shops on the same day and with 6 of the samne brand of dyno's they got as much as a 30hp difference from the low to the high. They recommended the dyno be used as a tuning device rather than a says all for a particular car's power.
To the thread starter I would say not to expect much from UDP's, TB/plenum or the shorties. I can speak from experience for the TB/plenum as I added a 75mm BBK Tb/plkenum and got no discernable difference using a passport timer. Yes I know that these types of timers are not the best way to measure times but when you don't have a track to go to I need something to use as a way to see if mods/tunes affect power. Same for the UDP's. Nothing. However in all fairness the TB/plenum and UDP's combined on dyno tests gave 7 and 5 HP gains which isn't a whole lot but with a 2v anything helps! From what I have read long tubes are the way to go and even then they are not a huge gain either and that comes from a vendor who said they should be the last mod when lookng for the last bit of power possible from the 2v so I would go long tube and sell the mid pipe if needed. Cams are good for 20HP if you are going stage 2, just my guess. So I would guess a 50HP gain with the additional parts if you go long tube. Mark

amoosenamedhank 10-24-2006 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

A little down? I would say you are way down on torque. Are you running a '96 motor in your '96? If so, I think your non-PI vs. his PI would be a significant difference. My PI ran 251 rwhp/288 rwtq on a Mustang Dyno with exhaust (X, catabck, no headers), JLT, and Steeda UDP's as a baseline before my SC install. You also need to rememeber that the same model dyno will read different numbers in different conditions.
I am using my 96 short block with a pi swap and shm stage 1 cams. I really don't get why I'm so low on torque compared to most peoples cars. I see mild bolt on gt's that have as much torque as I do. I really hope it's just the differences in the dyno otherwise I've been spending a lot of money for nothing.:( I guess all my torque problems will be fixed when i get the 5.4 up and running though:D

Miliock 10-24-2006 12:49 PM

cams ususally take some torque no? I have a friend that has a full bolt on 01 GT. LTs, exhaust, intake, tb, plenum, etc. He put VT stage 1 cams in and loss some torque. With 4.30s (anything over 3.73 you lose #s on the dyno) he put down 295.6 rwhp (just a predator tune)....I don't remember the torque off hand, but I know he had a decent amount less with the cams. Car has gone 12.5 with rear seat delete.

amoosenamedhank 10-24-2006 12:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Miliock

cams ususally take some torque no? I have a friend that has a full bolt on 01 GT. LTs, exhaust, intake, tb, plenum, etc. He put VT stage 1 cams in and loss some torque. With 4.30s (anything over 3.73 you lose #s on the dyno) he put down 295.6 rwhp (just a predator tune)....I don't remember the torque off hand, but I know he had a decent amount less with the cams. Car has gone 12.5 with rear seat delete.
I guess I don't know about loosing torque with cams because when I did my dyno pulls I already had the cams and the 4.10's.

scubasteve20 10-24-2006 03:49 PM

Yeah, there's something to be said for dyno errors. I decided before I went that I would be happy to see 250 rwhp as a best case scenario. I have 3.73's too so that might be a part of it, I've seen different dyno number when all that was done was a gear swap. We got 4 runs and they were 247 on the low end and 252 was the highest. I don't really care too much about the numbers, I just had to get it tuned to get it running right but it is nice to get an idea of what I'm putting down. Anyway, I can really tell that the new motor is MUCH stronger than the old '97 and if you don't have a dyno tune, make that one of your priorities... HUGE difference! I'm happy with the car and Im still defining my plans for future upgrades.

Steve

scubasteve20 10-25-2006 07:16 AM

BTW: Our ambient temps for that day were a cozy 71 degrees with 28% humidity. That and the fact that a guy working on the lights in the shop hitting the wrong breaker and killing the dyno computer, thus giving the car 20 mins. to cool down probably played a part too. The guy tuning it said he was kinda surprised by the #'s and he prolly runs 5-10 sessions a day so it can't be all that far off. Maybe I got ahold of a super secret SVT 2v motor that slipped through the cracks!! ;) j/k

Steve