4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TYPHOON: NUMBERS/EXPECTATIONS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:43 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TYPHOON: NUMBERS/EXPECTATIONS

Now I can add poor eyesight to the list of my infirmities! Thanks!
Has this base had good reviews among the guys on the forums? Any word snuck out on how the Summit/trick flow will perform?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

I always take those articles in mags as entertainment and look for real people in real world situations to test and report info and several have and not one has had a positive thing to say about that intake. The actual intake is poorly made and several have had to make adjustments just to install it. The guys over at Modular Powerhouse installed one and it leaked coolant through a pin hole because the casting is that bad. They posted pics of it. Also several have posted before and after dyno results with none actually gaining any HP but losing it. If you are just wanting to replace your lower intake i'd suggest the HPS Intake. Or waiting for the Trick Flow 2V intake this spring.

http://www.hiperformancesolutions.com/index2.html
This is the only place I have seen that intake mentioned (and its their intake) and honestly its pretty questionable.

His "basic bolton car" was making 30x WHP with just longtubes and cams? I don't think so.

Truth be told, unless you are FI or have a heavily built motor, you don't NEED a different intake than the stock PI 4.6L one.

The stock PI intake will flow well to your shortblock RPM limit, make good power down low (with a fairly smooth curve) and make decent power up top. Plain and simple, on a bolton only car or a light build, the intake isn't the restriction, the heads/cams are.

Your money would be MUCH better spent on a set of LTs or if that is done, a set of stage 1/2 cams. Better gains where you need them (up top, espcially 5500 to 6000) and little if any loss in torque down low.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:26 AM
kendiesel
2nd Gear Member

I'm waiting to have one put in now and then taking it to get tuned. I'll let you know how I make out hp wise. Currently have 439rwhp.