4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT

Alright, so this is starting to bother me now. When I start my car in the mornings and it's cold, I'm getting a strange, hard to explain rattling type sound for just a second or two. This was the only time I noticed it before, and if I drove somewhere, then turned the car off, then came back, it wouldn't do it again. Only when it had been sitting overnight. Then just a little while ago I was messing around with a friend going to lunch and floored it for a few seconds in third, not more than probably 3000-4000 RPMs, and I heard the sound a little again. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar sound or has any idea what it might be. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but I'd say somewhere from the engine to drivetrain, but since I have the clutch in when I start it, it can't be much further than the engine itself. I can't think of any better way to explain it, but if you have questions that might help then I'll try to answer them with any more info I can give. I'm going to get someone out there with me tomorrow morning when I start it for the first time to see if we can figure out where it comes from, but it's hard since it only happens for a second then it's gone.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT

Need a wav file!
Old 10-24-2006, 05:17 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Need a wav file!
Good idea, hadn't thought about that. I'll see if I can catch it on my phone tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Check your oil! make sure theres oil in there. my problem started like you describe and its now looking like I need a new shortblock...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

I definitely have oil, that's not a problem. But thanks for trying to scare me. [8D]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Need that wav file!!!
D*mn Hurricane fan!
Go Flyers, yea right[sm=sigh.gif]
Old 10-24-2006, 08:38 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Need that wav file!!!
D*mn Hurricane fan!
Go Flyers, yea right[sm=sigh.gif]
It's still not tomorrow yet! It only happened during that one WOT burst (which you probably wouldn't have heard over the engine on a recording) and when it's cold in the morning. I'll get one tomorrow haha. Other people still might know what I'm talking about though.

Oh, and the Canes aren't too much better now, so no worries (though when we get the other half of our team back from IR we should be back to our old selves again )
Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

the cold start is from timing chain takes just a second to get lubed up

Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 PM
droptoppony
5th Gear Member

is the sound kinda like a rattle like a spray paint can? If so it could be detonation...maybe you have a batch of bad gas. Go get some super and a octane boost additive and see if it continues.
Also these modulars are notorious on cold starts for trashing bearings...always warm your car up to operating temperature before getting on it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: droptoppony

is the sound kinda like a rattle like a spray paint can? If so it could be detonation...maybe you have a batch of bad gas. Go get some super and a octane boost additive and see if it continues.
Also these modulars are notorious on cold starts for trashing bearings...always warm your car up to operating temperature before getting on it.
It's not really like that, but I want to think that it's possible that it is a gas issue. I just run standard 87 normally since I'm all stock with no tune, and but I can't say that this ever happened before this tank of gas. Of course, I've only had the car for about a month, and it's only recently actually been cold, if that has any affect. I've been around working on cars for quite a while but I can't quite place this sound, partially because it's so brief. I'm going to get my dad to take a listen tomorrow morning since he's been working on cars as side projects all his life, and is an aircraft mechanic. I'll take it by the gas station tomorrow and get it some 93 (it's at about a quarter of a tank so that should raise it a little and even it out).

Also, other things to note, I bought it recently, as I said above, from someone who never did any work themself. It seems like it was well taken care of, but not by the person who owned it. He took it in for an oil change like clockwork when his little sticker on the windshield told him to, but a lot of other things haven't been done. Next month (read, when I get my paycheck) I'm doing a big tune up on it and replacing all the belts, hoses, plugs, plug wires, and whatever else is on the list that probably hasn't ever been replaced. Nothing I can think of would cause the kind of noise I get, but I certainly don't know every possible condition on these cars.

Hopefully I can get a sound clip and help out more.

Quick Reply: Rattling Type Sound at cold start and WOT