4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

No traction control on 04' GT WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: No traction control on 04' GT WTF

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT

Thats completely wrong. I have ABS in my car and it has no traction control.
Ok, in 99+'s then. The options are SUPPOSED to be tied together. I could have got ahead of myself and got it mixed up (happens to the best of us) but at the very least for traction control you NEED the ABS... MOST stangs that I've seen, if the buyer didn't opt for traction control, they didn't opt for the ABS either.

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2
Dude, what are you talking about? Unless ABS stands for something other then Anti-Locking Brake System... I don't have traction control but I most certainly do have ABS. Hell my old 94 Probe GT didnt have traction control but it had ABS. Perhaps you mixed up your letters with something else? Though I can't think of what...
You clearly don't understand exactly how the traction control works. Uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin. Uses the ABS system to pulsate the rear brakes to help control that wheelspin... it'll also retard the engine timing when the traction control system is active. Without the ABS sensors to detect the wheelspin, and the main module to pulse the brakes, the traction control system would be useless.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:16 PM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

Traction control has nothing to do with ABS. If you let it kick in you will see that your brakes don't slow the car down. I think that traction control is a bunch of crap anyways. what slows the car or stops it from sliding is the fuel management. rpm with no acceleration, or too much rpm with no acceleration. the switch takes the torque away from the car. makes it to where you cant go. and sometimes when you want it to go, the car stops it from that so it is a piece of crap. Don't even worry about not having it.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

with traction control on... i held a burnout, and it kept spinning into 2nd (auto)... and it still spins... the only time I've ever seen it work was when I tried whipping her around, and I forgot that it turned back on, so I cut the wheel, gunned it, and the tires just chriped along the ground... In other words... it's always OFF in my car.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangc83

Traction control has nothing to do with ABS. If you let it kick in you will see that your brakes don't slow the car down. I think that traction control is a bunch of crap anyways. what slows the car or stops it from sliding is the fuel management. rpm with no acceleration, or too much rpm with no acceleration. the switch takes the torque away from the car. makes it to where you cant go. and sometimes when you want it to go, the car stops it from that so it is a piece of crap. Don't even worry about not having it.
Doesnt have anything to do with your brakes, but ABS sense whether the wheels are spinning or not then lets the computer to know to cut fuel. So yes traction control does need the ABS sensor. Traction control is prettty much the opposite of the ABS effect, however still uses the sensor to detect the opposite of locked wheels.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:01 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Dude, what are you talking about? Unless ABS stands for something other then Anti-Locking Brake System... I don't have traction control but I most certainly do have ABS. Hell my old 94 Probe GT didnt have traction control but it had ABS. Perhaps you mixed up your letters with something else? Though I can't think of what...
You clearly don't understand exactly how the traction control works. Uses the ABS sensors to detect wheelspin. Uses the ABS system to pulsate the rear brakes to help control that wheelspin... it'll also retard the engine timing when the traction control system is active. Without the ABS sensors to detect the wheelspin, and the main module to pulse the brakes, the traction control system would be useless.
Ummm....I was say dude what are you talking about referring to you saying that the cars dont have ABS if they doint have traction control....I know exactly how traction control works.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:15 PM
kcp1989
3rd Gear Member

Be glad you dont have it. It almost got me killed a few times. One time a pulled out to cross an intersection when it was wet, spun the tires on some sand so the tc cut the throttle so I couldnt go. I had to reach down to turn it off so I could get out of the way of an oncoming car.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Plain and simple. I have it, hate it, it sucks. Don`t get it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

You can turn it on w/ the handheld tuner. I dont have it & dont think its nessasary.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Ummm....I was say dude what are you talking about referring to you saying that the cars dont have ABS if they doint have traction control....I know exactly how traction control works.

Clearly you do not, a car with without ABS will not have traction control. Why because it uses the ABS module along with its own algorithim to detect that the wheels are slipping.

Its pretty much the inverse of ABS. ABS and traction control have everything to do with eachother; its almost the same technology and TC needs ABS to work.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Clearly you do not, a car with without ABS will not have traction control. Why because it uses the ABS module along with its own algorithim to detect that the wheels are slipping.

Its pretty much the inverse of ABS. ABS and traction control have everything to do with eachother; its almost the same technology and TC needs ABS to work.
Re-read his original post. You can have ABS without traction control....I know you can't have traction control without ABS but he said it works both ways, which is NOT correct. If you dont have traction control you can still have ABS, please re-read both the original posts.

Quick Reply: No traction control on 04' GT WTF