4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

turbo set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 06:31 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default turbo set up

i can get a garret turbo from a diesel truck engine w/ and intercooler for free, anyone know if this would work? i dont know were to get a manifold for the turbo to bolt up to though and also if anyones heard of a garret turbo, wat kinda power would it add?? and finally since i have the pi heads which raises my compression abit is ok to put a turbo on?
Old 08-05-2004, 11:45 AM
4G63buddy

Default RE: turbo set up

For one, your 4.6L engine would not have enough exhaust gas to power the large turbo that comes off the diesel, because the compressor and turbine housings are huge on diesels. But you would have to spend a butt load of money to fabricate the setup. Not to mention, it would be easier if you twin turbo'd the car(if that is what you want to do), because you have two headers, adn you have one turbo. That means that only 4 cylinders would be powering the large turbo. So no, it would not work. There is much more involved than just slapping a turbo on.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:59 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

ok, for starters the turbo is on a small 4cylinder diesel, "Garrett industry leading exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) coolers are designed for a full range of engine sizes, from 1.2 liter, through the medium sized car market, into larger engines for truck and bus applications at 18 liters plus." i found that off their website, so if it was a smaller engine why wouldnt it work. and about the manifold dont people have single turbos set ups???? how do thiers work?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:59 PM
4G63buddy

That because they have inline(I-6 setups), some have V-6 twin turbos but you are talking about a lot of money. And i know what a garett turbo is fool, i have had 2 of them. But the single turbo setup works like this.....one manifold powers the one turbo with a external wastegate(or internal). Dude if you want to put on a turbo setup, that is fine, but you will spend a lot of money just trying to get there. And since your compression is different form the import turbo cars, you will have to run lower boost. I am just giving advice, and if you want to not follow it, that is fine too. But when you realize that it cost around 10k for a setup similar, i dont want to hear crying. Be smart bro, and just go with a supercharger.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Js281GT
2nd Gear Member

It would be the BIGGEST pain in the a$$$$$$$$$$$. Plus you won't pass smog. Just get a blower!
Old 08-05-2004, 04:45 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

it wouldnt be worth it, the turbo is probably huge from the diesel, 80mm+, so you would have some horrible lag.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:16 PM
4G63buddy

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

it wouldnt be worth it, the turbo is probably huge from the diesel, 80mm+, so you would have some horrible lag.
Exactly!!!! My turbo is only a Evo IIIbig16, and it has some bad lag.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:45 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

it wuld still cost that much money when im gettin the turbo and intercooler free? all i need are the headers and the piping right? ive been looking at some of the single turbo set ups, and i was thinkn maybe i culd us buy there headers and then make my own piping or somthn, but im not seein how its gonna cost 10k????
Old 08-06-2004, 12:57 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

and i looked alil bit more and it works so that both manifolds power the turob, the go into like a y pipe then power the turbo and then the exhaust gasses come out into like another y pipe. also im not tryn to argue w/ anyone im jus tryn to figure out why its not worth it, ur opinion is what i want and thats why i posted this, so i can get an idea as to wats involved
Old 08-06-2004, 01:27 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stonemonk9

and i looked alil bit more and it works so that both manifolds power the turob, the go into like a y pipe then power the turbo and then the exhaust gasses come out into like another y pipe. also im not tryn to argue w/ anyone im jus tryn to figure out why its not worth it, ur opinion is what i want and thats why i posted this, so i can get an idea as to wats involved
you would need to buy a smaller turbo, you would have to fabricate some turbo manifolds, well i should say you would have to fabricate the whole kit. you coudlnt do it. just look at a professional kit, how much work would go into it.

Quick Reply: turbo set up