4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do yall get away with an o/r pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:27 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default How do yall get away with an o/r pipe?

Im just curious because i really really reeeeaaaalllllyy wanna get an SLP o/r x-pipe cuz i heard a vid with that and MAC catback that sounded insanely insane. So how do you guys get away with it (for those who have to worry about emissions) I know all about "changing the mid pipe before you get it inspected" but that seems too much of a hassle. Then again it's like what, once a year you get it inspected? Anyways im just curious. Cuz last resort is ill just go with a catted SLP mid.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: How do yall get away with an o/r pipe?

A lot of people have friends who do inspections or they know of sly shops and know a $50 without saying anything else is a guarenteed pass. Other shops never do the visual inspection & as long as there is no check engine light it'll pass all the OBDII diagnostics.

Most shops will install a mid-pipe for less than $40 bucks. So having it taken on and off once a year isn't a huge expense, about the same price for an oil change if you pay a shop to do it...

In my area, it's impossible to get away with it as any car louder than stock is illegal. There is a 90db limit, but that is for pre-emissions car. Any car that older than I believe an 85 can't be ANY louder than stock.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

That's really the only way. If you have an O/R h pipe, you'll need to swap it out before inspections, or if you know someone.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 PM
97BlackStang
3rd Gear Member

I havent had mine inspected yet with the O/R pipe but I have a list of people who will pass it for me. Just a little cash gets me what I need.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:25 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

also it depends on where you live...example....i live in oklahoma city....and oklahoma doesnt have inspections on vehicles anymore......and no inspections mean o/r pipes all day with no worries!!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:34 AM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

A lot of people have friends who do inspections or they know of sly shops and know a $50 without saying anything else is a guarenteed pass. Other shops never do the visual inspection & as long as there is no check engine light it'll pass all the OBDII diagnostics.

Most shops will install a mid-pipe for less than $40 bucks. So having it taken on and off once a year isn't a huge expense, about the same price for an oil change if you pay a shop to do it...

In my area, it's impossible to get away with it as any car louder than stock is illegal. There is a 90db limit, but that is for pre-emissions car. Any car that older than I believe an 85 can't be ANY louder than stock.
i though even if its off, they computer will read that u have no cats?

also, they might smell ur exhaust
Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ok if you buy an slp catted x pipe you can buy the race pipes in addition for 60 or so dollars, to swap them back and forth all you have to do is unscrew a few clamps
Old 10-26-2006, 01:12 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Dan, really that cheap?? I'm considering getting a midpipe and I was worried it would be at least 100-150 range. Labor charges out the @$$.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 AM
ilbehaved
1st Gear Member

mississippi basically has no smog checks of any kind ever. easy to get away with anything like that.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:19 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

You guys ever get paranoid about it? Maybe ill just be on the safer side and stick to a catted slp xpipe. Im sure its not that huge of a difference in sound quality. The catless may be louder but im sure the catted sounds sick too.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...915B4DD8EC.htm

That's the set up i wanna get. That is easily the perfect sound to my ears.

Quick Reply: How do yall get away with an o/r pipe?