4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

broke the tip off my dipstick...i need a how to for removal of pan

Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 AM
99SCRIORED

Default RE: broke the tip off my dipstick...i need a how to for removal of pan

yah tried the magnet on the end of a 6" rubber hose..only spent a hr or so trying to get it out etc.. The thing is I actually think it is still in the dipstick tube, which I tried to pull out with no luck (actually gave up due to cold and night or and bloody fists letting out some steam. Hang tight I'll take a pic or two. I won't be able to get back at it until sat morning.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99SCRIORED

yah tried the magnet on the end of a 6" rubber hose..only spent a hr or so trying to get it out etc.. The thing is I actually think it is still in the dipstick tube, which I tried to pull out with no luck (actually gave up due to cold and night or and bloody fists letting out some steam. Hang tight I'll take a pic or two. I won't be able to get back at it until sat morning.

Theres no way to get it... trust me. The only way to get it is do what i said. Youll save a hell of a lot of time if you stop messing around with ways that are like a needle in a haystack to work.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:20 AM
99SCRIORED

dipstick... and some eye candy
Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 AM
99SCRIORED

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Theres no way to get it... trust me. The only way to get it is do what i said. Youll save a hell of a lot of time if you stop messing around with ways that are like a needle in a haystack to work.
Bro its not the tube that is broke off it's the actual dipstick tip that is broke prolly 1/4" piece. By using your 2X4 technique can I drop the pan completely, so I can get it the bottom and find the fragment?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:27 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Bro its not the tube that is broke off it's the actual dipstick tip that is broke prolly 1/4" piece. By using your 2X4 technique can I drop the pan completely, so I can get it the bottom and find the fragment?

I'm assuming the broken piece is in the pan?

I broke my actual tube off in the block and it fell down into the pan. If its in the pan, drain the oil unbol the pan and motor mounts. the 2x4 is just support on the tranny instead of just using a jack, but right where the base of the tranny connects to the motor jack it up, the tranny and motor will raise and youll be able to get your hand around to grab the piece out of the oil pan.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:33 AM
99SCRIORED

czwalga00gt, How much room will I have to fish around? Like I said that piece is only 1/4" and its flat.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:37 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

czwalga00gt, How much room will I have to fish around? Like I said that piece is only 1/4" and its flat.

Well when you drop the oil pan, the pan can only drop down about 2 inches, becuase it gets stuck between the kmember and the transmission. So you can barely squeeze your hand up and around. What I did was unbolt both motor mounts so the engine can be lifted, and just jacked up the transmission right where the engine and tranny meet. This will give you as much clearance as you need to get your hand up and around. Just make sure you dont jack it up too high so any connected to your engine stretches.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:06 PM
JimboGT01
3rd Gear Member

just a suggestion but maybe a little mirror like they use at the dentist could help pinpoint where it is. maybe
Old 10-26-2006, 04:09 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the oil pan magentic? How would you know if you got it or not?

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Have you tried a big magnet and drag it across the bottom to the drain plug? I would need to see a pic of what you broke and how much to really be able to help.
Assuming the tip is IN the oil pan, you could get a real strong magnet and drag it from where it is to the hole. The pan is magnetic too, but the tip should follow along.

This is all assuming it is magnetic (the tip).
Old 10-26-2006, 04:21 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

The magnet thing is a little more possible with just the oil dipstick. I had the about a 3 inch tube in my oilpan. Still it would be quicker and easy to just raise the motor and drop the oil pan. Probably took 2 hours, as opposed to the countless hours i wasted fishing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broke the tip off my dipstick...i need a how to for removal of pan