4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

volume knob problem!

Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default volume **** problem!

I posted this in the audio/video electronics section, no one seems to be too active over there, maybe someone can help me here. Sorry. Thank you.

When I try to turn my volume down quickly, or some times not quick at all, my volume will actually go up! It's really annoying! If someone is trying to call me, and I have to turn down my volume for some other reason fast, and I turn it down, it'll shoot up even louder! Does anyone else have this problem? How can I fix it?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:05 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: volume **** problem!

sounds like a good reason to buy a really nice aftermarket deck
Old 10-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

I just hit the mute button or push in on the volume button....both ways work really well.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:36 AM
koumiss45
2nd Gear Member

It's because you have 4.10's. It has something to do with the speedometer electrical signal, I don't know why it does this but it does. Nah, not really, lol but I am with matt get a nice aftermarket deck and enjoy it. If you dont want to worry about the volume issue, get some lm 2's and a off road h pipe and say screw it, you wont be able to hear anyway.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 AM
rjgstang
3rd Gear Member

dude, mine does the same thing and also does not load/eject cd's properly causing much frustration!![:@]
Old 10-27-2006, 03:15 AM
BlOwNsNaKe
3rd Gear Member

You all must be talking about the Mach 460! They all do that as well as mine. You are not alone my friend so you have 3 choices. sing to yourself, live with it, or time for an upgrade!
Old 10-27-2006, 03:26 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rjgstang

also does not load/eject cd's properly causing much frustration!![:@]

GAH, I HATE THAT!! [:'(]
Old 10-27-2006, 10:49 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

lol yeaaaaaa. oh well I just listen to my exhaust most of the time. Even more once, i get a midpipe.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:48 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

It's just in the electronics of the **** itself. It's not a specific issue of one headunit really. You will encounter this a lot on all different kinds of *****, turn them too fast and they go the opposite direction. I don't know for sure, but I have some ideas of why exactly it happens in electronics terms, but I wont bore you with that. Bottom line is you probably aren't going to fix it unless you desolder the volume control and find another one to replace it that's higher quality and resolder that on. That or just live with it or get a new head unit. I'd go for the get a new head unit option. That was one of the first things I did to my car, got an iPod plug and all.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM
gumm0712

Default volume **** problem

Had the same issue on my 2002 GT. Without dissasembling anything just used a fine nozzel with my air compressor set about 90 psi and simply blew air all around the edge of the **** while rotating back and forth. Did not fix it at first, kept blowing air and rotating for a few minutes and then it was fixed. Must have been dust build up inside the potentiometer.

Hope this saves people some time and money.

Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: volume knob problem!