4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 GT wanting to put on an 04 Cobra Blower

Old 10-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Vortexx

Default 04 GT wanting to put on an 04 Cobra Blower

I was wondering if it was possible to put an 04 Cobra stock blower on an 04 GT. I have heard that it is not worth it, that you can, and that you cant.....

I was wondering what needs to be done, if anything, to make this possible and if the 2V / 3V is what makes this hard....

Let me know if anyone has done this and what they ran into!

thanks!

-Vortexx
Old 10-27-2006, 12:42 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 04 GT wanting to put on an 04 Cobra Blower

I've not tried this myself, but I'm sure others will tell you what I'm about to tell you is.... dont do it. The stock Eaton, although a decent supercharger... is very inefficient. And, makin it fit on a GT and working properly is probably not worth your trouble. KB makes a supercharger specifically designed for the 2V 4.6L motor... so go check their site out. Also, procharger and vortech are good products to consider as well. I'm not sure on this, but you might wanna check some info if you do decide to go with a KB and make sure it will fit under your stock hood. Its possible you might have to improvise or change your hood out... but I'm not 100% on that.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:03 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Not worth it unless you can custom fab your own intake manifold and have a ton of free time. If your trying to go F/I the cheap way, either go nitrous, or if you want a supercharger, you can find good deals on centrifugals.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Vortexx

Makes sense to me that this is trouble in disguise....

I am looking to get close to maxing out the power of my '04 GT without having to rebuild the engine itself. That is 400-450Max I hear. Now is that to the Wheels or Crank?

Also what would be the best way to go about this..... I already have BBK LT Headers, BBK Off H w/o cats, and Flowmaster catback coming in. 3.73 Gears are next, then followed by a charger.

I was figuring that adding the charger on would top me off. I am not planning on going crazy with this, those are pretty much the only mods, performance wise, that I plan on doing. I actually was looking at a KB Root but the cobra option caught my eye.

Would my car be able to handle the power from these mods or would I have to rebuild the engine?

-Vortexx
Old 10-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

Procharger, Novi 2000, Vortech all good superchargers. BTW 400-450 is rwhp with an intercooled setup (i believe) and a good custom dyno or street tune. Don't trust the in the box tunes.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

dont do it.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vortexx

I am looking to get close to maxing out the power of my '04 GT without having to rebuild the engine itself. That is 400-450Max I hear. Now is that to the Wheels or Crank?

Also what would be the best way to go about this..... I already have BBK LT Headers, BBK Off H w/o cats, and Flowmaster catback coming in. 3.73 Gears are next, then followed by a charger.

I was figuring that adding the charger on would top me off. I am not planning on going crazy with this, those are pretty much the only mods, performance wise, that I plan on doing. I actually was looking at a KB Root but the cobra option caught my eye.

Would my car be able to handle the power from these mods or would I have to rebuild the engine?

-Vortexx

You'll be safe under 400. Once you go past, its only a matter of time before her heart gives out.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

-Vortexx
Just to let ya know... KB is a twin screw supercharger... hence why its more efficient. Your Eaton superchargers are Roots.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

-Vortexx

You'll be safe under 400. Once you go past, its only a matter of time before her heart gives out.

With a good tune and proper upkeep there is no reason a 2v 4.6L can't make 425~ whp or so with no problems for a very long time.

The eaton is not an option. Nobody makes a kit to put the eaton on a 2v 4.6L, and even if you did a custom setup it would suck.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:54 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

I looked into this too, I've seen low mileage blowers for as little as $400. the problem is 2V intake ports are different from 4V, that would take a tricky adaptor, a custom tune, injectors, pump, wire harness mods. If I were inclined, I plan on it in 5 years when I retire the car as a toy, I'd build the engine, then install the KB setup, and beat the living hell out of it. To me, my car now is too valuable as an economical, comfortable, commuter.

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 GT wanting to put on an 04 Cobra Blower