4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

WHAT SIZE WHEEL SPACERS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:17 PM
rocket_four_six

Default WHAT SIZE WHEEL SPACERS?

What size wheel spacers should I get for the rear wheels on my 2000 GT. I currently have 245/40/18 rear tires, but plan on getting 265/35/18 or 275/35/18 rear tires on my 18 x 9 rims. Also, what size tires should I go with?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:03 PM
rocket_four_six

Default RE: WHAT SIZE WHEEL SPACERS?

Anybody?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

You don't need any spacers. I have 275s all around on 18 inch rims and they fit fine. The front does rub a slight bit sometimes but its ok
Old 10-27-2006, 02:19 PM
rocket_four_six

I want to add spacers mainly for looks. My rear wheels tuck in further than my front wheels. I want to bring my rear wheels out to the fender.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rocket_four_six

I want to add spacers mainly for looks. My rear wheels tuck in further than my front wheels. I want to bring my rear wheels out to the fender.
Oh ok I see

Not sure there I don't know much about spacers.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:24 PM
rocket_four_six

I wish I had 10.5" rear wheels.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:34 PM
HRnB
Administrator

I have 275/35/18's on the rear and I bought 1" adapters, but when I start putting them on, which is a bish, I put one wheel on and the tire was lined up right at the edge of the top of the fender, but it looked odd to me, so I stopped. To install adapters, you have to cut the studs and grind down stock lug nuts to attach the adapters. I didn't want to do all 10 studs and lugs and not like it, so I just put quarter inch spacers on. In my opinion, half inch would be perfect, but the stock studs aren't long enough for half inch, and I've never found half inch adapters. Here's how it looks with quarter inch spacers. You can see that another quarter inch would be about perfect with 275/35's

Old 10-27-2006, 02:59 PM
rocket_four_six

I know ARP and Moroso make extended wheel studs that would work with 1/2" spacers. Jegs also carries a 3/4" slip on spacer. Has anybody ever changed out the rear wheel studs, and if so how do you do it?
Old 10-27-2006, 05:34 PM
HRnB
Administrator

I know I can get longer studs, but I'd rather use adapters instead of spacers. Spacers can cause your wheel to come loose. Studs aren't hard to change, they're just a pain in the *** because they are rusted in, so you have to pound the **** out of them to knock them out. Then the new stud has to be cranked down to pull them in to seat them, then drive around and re torque them several times in some cases.
I'd much rather use a half inch adapter, but I think by the time the stud and lug are ground down, there isn't much lug to hold the adapter on safely. So longer studs and half inch spacers might be my only choice in my case........well, that or just leave it as is.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

Use something like these hub-centric with studs. Different suppliers have them, look around. http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe...50373800020318 The smallest ones here are 25mm or .98". Drop a straight edge from the outside of the fender down to the ground and measure from the sidewall to the straight edge. This gives you the spacer thickness to bring the tire out to be even with the outer fender. BUT... remember there's a lip inside the fender that your tire has to clear in compression, so if your wheel goes up into the wheel-well during bounce your spacer will need to be narrower.

Quick Reply: WHAT SIZE WHEEL SPACERS?