4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Look what I walked out to see

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:38 AM
2K3StangGT

Default RE: Look what I walked out to see

dude it looks as if they used the white stuff on the spark plug (forgot what it is called). my autobody teacher showed everyone in my class how it works and it just shattered the window!! amazing when u see it dont but sorry to see that happened to you. hope you catch who did it and give em payback!!!!
Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Yeah
thats the PORCELIN trick
I cant spell but it sounds like that

Said that above
Old 08-11-2004, 04:05 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2K3StangGT

dude it looks as if they used the white stuff on the spark plug (forgot what it is called). my autobody teacher showed everyone in my class how it works and it just shattered the window!! amazing when u see it dont but sorry to see that happened to you. hope you catch who did it and give em payback!!!!
Yup lol. I got some highschool memories, my autoshop teacher told us about that and this kid was like "thats not true" and threw a piece of the porcelin (white stuff) at this car window and it just shattered after a loud pop.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:32 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

quote]ORIGINAL: Mach1

Ouch, looks like they used a spark plug...
[/quote]

Okay, I gotta know. How does porcelain shatter a windshield? Porcelain is the same stuff that coats your sink, toilet, and bathtub. I've dropped glasses into porcelain covered sinks and they didn't shatter like that. Three people have said spark plug though. More information please? I can't imagine that the safety glass on a car would shatter that easily.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

You answered your own question. The saftey glass is tempered thats why. Dont beleive us? Get a plug and throw it at your cars window.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:02 AM
04ShakinSteed
I ♥ Acer

That really sucks dude. Sorry to hear.

Glad my car is in the garage everynight.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mach1

You answered your own question. The saftey glass is tempered thats why. Dont beleive us? Get a plug and throw it at your cars window.

Yeah but then you have the weight of the plug as well. Id think you'd have to zing it to break it though. It's not that I don't believe you I just fid it hard to believe. The glass is tempered, which just means it's been heated and then cooled a certain rate, then enclosed in plastic to prevent it from getting glass all over you.

I did find this..

The Breaking of Tempered Glass Vehicle Windows Using Broken Spark Plug Insulators
Springer E, Zeichner A

Abstract
A novel and efficient method for forced entry into vehicles using broken spark plug insulators to break the windows was reviewed. Various experiments were performed in which a number of objects, varying in their physical characteristics, were compared to the broken ceramic plus insulators in order to examine the uniqueness of the latter in the breaking of tempered glass. A plausible mechanism was presented attributing the great efficiency of the insulators to their hardness in relation to other materials (MOHS scale), and to their potential for the concentration of force in one point because of the sharp, jagged ends.

Weird. I've found bits and pieces around the internet about using the ceramic portion on a string. Too funny. I'd never thought something like that would work.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
audiopro

The frequency that is created when porcelain hits glass is that in which glass resonates the most, causing it to break..
Old 08-12-2004, 11:34 AM
mdgosch
1st Gear Member

You people know to much about breaking glass....(interrogator vpice)...Any of you in Huntsville AL on the night of Friday the 6th of August?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM
pichinco
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdgosch

You people know to much about breaking glass....(interrogator vpice)...Any of you in Huntsville AL on the night of Friday the 6th of August?
No, but I'm hoping your going to tell us!!