4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I have some Motor Questions here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:36 PM
rabidcoobie

Default I have some Motor Questions here!

Ok I got some ?'s here.
1st i have an '01 GT with really nothing done exept Flowmasters and CAI.I am going to be recieving $4k+ in back pay soon and have been doing some looking into getting some things don, and i will be doin almost all the work myself.and a stage 2 clutch.

Some thing s i am gonna do will be,
BBK lt's and a catted H(getting off a friend for cheap,bought it for his gt but never installed and he no longer has it)
Accufab 75mm TB/Plenum combo
The shaker scoop system for the GT's(I know its not a power giver but does lookreally nice.)
Suspension(same here from same friend)
Steeda UDP's

I know these dont add alot of power but just curious what i would be looking at HP wise with these things.

Now for the main question,its about the heads.Would it be better to P&P the heads or just to buy the PI heads and intake(like the 1's Ford Racing sells) and what would the advantages and disadvantages be between the 2,what kind of HP would this bring.To be honest i am new to the Mod motors and dont really know alot about heads.

Other stuff i looking to get in the future would be a SC, chin spoiler,grill delete...blah blah blahhh the norm.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I have some Motor Questions here!

S/C now... then see what you want to add after that.. If I could do it all over again, supercharger and gears would be my mods after my exhaust.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:49 PM
rabidcoobie

Well youre prob right about the SC and gears but i norm get a really nice Tax check so i will be putting the SC and gears on hold until spring,I plan to have it repainted this summer,so I will want the SC and gears done before then.Thx
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM
rabidcoobie

Ummm,no1 has any info for the question about the heads?Anyone?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:28 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

250 at teh wheels with that stuff.

as far as the heads, you already have the PI heads on your car. I just dont think the cost of the heads is justified for the performance gains. jmo. You can do your bolt ons, then your s/c in the spring and be round 400 at the wheels.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
rabidcoobie

Sounds good...like i said i am new to the modular motors,and really no nothing about the heads that are in them,so just go with a P&P,and would i need to get th e intaketo get all the benefits?
Old 10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rabidcoobie

Sounds good...like i said i am new to the modular motors,and really no nothing about the heads that are in them,so just go with a P&P,and would i need to get th e intaketo get all the benefits?
i would even question the p&p, unless you realllllllyyy know someone who knows what they are doing, dont just use Vern down at the machine shop. There really hasnt been an aftermarket intake manifold worth its weight, cept for the P51 and i wouldnt recommend that either at your stage of doing stuff.

If you want to add bolt-ons, that is good. Just build towards your blower. Dont do pulleys or CAI, they will have to come off when the blower goes on. Exhaust, tb/pl, gears, clutch and suspension. Then you will really get a big benefit when you put your blower on. I did alot of bolt ons i listed plus cams and then when i put the blower on, I probably got an extra 155-160 hp (crank) that wouldnt have been there with the blower by itself. And that is non-intercooled with the stock pulley barely squeaking out 8#s of boost. I have a conservative tuna and get a little over 400 to the wheels. I address the cooling issue, crank up the boost and then i am into bending a rod territory, woot!