4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Another nitrous!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:27 AM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Another nitrous!

real simple stick with zex or venom nitrous dry.... 75 shot max or you will have issues
Old 11-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Zephid
2nd Gear Member

you say 75 shot max but in your sig you run a 100 shot. what have you done to handle the extra nitrous ?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:37 AM
akelemecz
I ♥ Acer

I'd go wet over dry .. its easier to tune in and keep your motor safe.... I have a venom dry kit for sale if anyone is interested ... Nitrous is usually 30- 40 bucks a 10lb bottle and let me tell you .. it goes fast haha .. I'd run 75-100 shot but nothing more ... I ran a 125 and 150 shot for a while and never had a problem but then again .. people get lucky .. the venom dry system comes with an ECM that detects how rich or lean your motor is running and will shut off spray accordingly ..
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

You can get any number of brands of nitrous. I personally, use the Nitrous Works kit from Barry Grant. There is NOS, NX, Zex, Venom, Dry Fusion, Venom....etc., etc. If you are on a stock engine, I would say up to a 100 shot is safe. Once you go over that, you will be pushing the envelope. Make sure you get a good tune there, dyno tune preferrably.

In regards to a wet shot. The fuel is taken from the Schrader valve in the fuel rail and then sprayed w/ the nitrous into the intake manifold. Needing a CAI for nitrous is the silliest thing I ever heard. You can do it fine w/ the stock intake. W/ a dry shot, the nitrous is sprayed into the intake manifold and the fuel pressure is spiked so that more fuel is added through the injectors. As far as 'computer controlled' nitrous. Zex uses a computer module that will not let the nitrous lean out the engine. That is the only thing that I can think of. It uses the voltage to gauge where the throttle is and compensates accordingly. I use a WOT switch that is activated through the throttle cable. That is another way to activate the nitrous.

Any other questions??? There seemed to be A LOT of speculation and a severe lack of facts in this thread. I am not trying to bash anyone specifically but, actual experience and rumor are two different things. There is A LOT of urban legends about NAWZZZZ/ NOS/ nitrous floating around. When used correctly, it will yield very nice gains but it will also destroy your engine ifyou do not respect it. Detonation is the enemy of nitrous. You will need to run 93 octane and get a good tune for the spray. I personally use an SCT 4 bank chip w/ a nitrous tune.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
SickAssStang

fiad06
ORIGINAL: fiad06

Hey guys i might be getting nitrous installed in the next few weeks....I was wondering whats the best kit to get and what shot can i safely use? i was thinking a 100 shot?...how much does a 100 shot shave off of ur 1/4 time? Oh ya and how much does it cost to get your bottle filled?

thanks
Speaking from experience, I have used Zex on my srt that I had before and switched to NX when I got the mustang, my car is almost stock accept for a few bolt ons but I put a 100 shot on my wet and ran a 12.8 all day long consecutively. Its on full throttle so I just arm it and go. I spray it all the time and so far so good, so its been safe. The place I asked about how much of a shot to run told me I could do 125 shot no problem. The 100 shot will knock off a full second off your car. I have an automatic so it ran the time steady plus I fell asleep at the tree everytime. It also depends if you drive manual, its on how good of a driver you are........
Old 11-01-2006, 01:27 PM
SickAssStang

ORIGINAL: fiad06

Hey guys i might be getting nitrous installed in the next few weeks....I was wondering whats the best kit to get and what shot can i safely use? i was thinking a 100 shot?...how much does a 100 shot shave off of ur 1/4 time? Oh ya and how much does it cost to get your bottle filled?

thanks

Speaking from experience, I have used Zex on my srt that I had before and switched to NX when I got the mustang, my car is almost stock accept for a few bolt ons but I put a 100 shot on my wet and ran a 12.8 all day long consecutively. Its on full throttle so I just arm it and go. I spray it all the time and so far so good, so its been safe. The place I asked about how much of a shot to run told me I could do 125 shot no problem. The 100 shot will knock off a full second off your car. I have an automatic so it ran the time steady plus I fell asleep at the tree everytime. It also depends if you drive manual, its on how good of a driver you are........
Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

dry sprays before the maf, letting the car's computer compensate for the extra oxygen.
wet sprays after the maf, the fuel is already added in with the nitrous.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

There's quite a bit of misinformation in this thread. I highly recommend going over to Pipes, Boost, Juice and reading the stickies first. Then asked questions about the stuff the stickies didn't clarify well enough. Nitrous Bob or Full Auto will get you up to speed after that.

A wet kit isn't necesarily safer.

Any forced induction modification will benefit from a dyno tune and will also verify the A/F ratio is good.

The nozzle from a wet or dry kit is placed in the intake tubing, regardless of whether it is stock or an aftermarket CAI. A dry kit has one solenoid for the nitrous. A wet kit has an extra solenoid that handles the fuel added to the nitrous through the same nozzle.

There are three switches typically involved in a nitrous install. 1. Activation Switch - basically the on/off switch that must be on for the solenoids to supply N2O/fuel. 2. Window switch - a device where the desired RPM range can be set to allow the system to work. If the system isn't on, the window switch doesn't matter. If the system is active, this switch allows the system to funcction only in the RPM "window" that was set by the user. 3. WOT Switch - the wide open throttle switch is usually a micro-switch that is depressed when the throttle is wide open. Some kits (Zex I think) uses the TPS for WOT detection instead of a mechanical switch.

I believe a fuel pressure safety switch is sometimes used that allows the system to work only if the proper fuel pressure is present.

Again, the stickies in the Pipes, Boost, Juice section are worth their weight in gold and other in that section will answer any questions you still have.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
GT 281
2nd Gear Member

IM running a dry 75 shot from NOS on my 03 stang and it works great. I have done alot of research on this and everyone says only a 75 shot dry and maybe a 100 shot on a wet kit. I dont know about the 1/4 mile times but in the 1/8 mile it shaved excatley 1 second off my time @ 8.9. with a CAI. I like the CAI because most of them have a NOS port on them. (makes it nice on the install) I have just got a Diablo programer and i will keep you updated on the new times but i can say w/ just the programer it feels like your on the juice but your not. Infact w/ the juice with stock drive train it squeeks the belts and slips the clutch upon shift. (pretty impressive to tell you the truth).
Old 11-01-2006, 03:05 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Do you have to get the bottle warmer kit? Is the (zex) install something a noob could handle?

There's a lot of good info in this thread - thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another nitrous!