4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car wont start.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:19 PM
SlvRgT

Default Car wont start.....

O.k...so I was driving my car yesterday, when I went out to start it today it would not crank up...I was confronted with that ugly clicking sound...Went to Autozone charged my Optima, installed it and it started up fine, although my battery light flickered a bit...Obviously the battery is fine...Any idea what could be draing it or could it be something else that just isnt giving it the crank....Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thx
Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Car wont start.....

If the battery is not charging, it is your alternator. Autozone has a charging system test that they can do for you to see if its your alternator.

99% of the time its just the battery not holding a charge.

E.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
SlvRgT

I also checked that but the alternator is fine...any other ideas??
ORIGINAL: Sap

If the battery is not charging, it is your alternator. Autozone has a charging system test that they can do for you to see if its your alternator.

99% of the time its just the battery not holding a charge.

E.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

do you have a sound system? mabye a bad REM lead causing the amp to stay on while the car is off, or a poor ground.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

or the starter
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 PM
SlvRgT

"sleeping stallion"...funny....thats what my car is at the moment..lol..ok, no I dont have a soundsystem or anything to run down the batt., but u know what the starter never crossed my mind...how can i tell if thats the problem? Estimated cost? or should i just do it myself/....Thx fellas...keep cruizin...
ORIGINAL: sleeping stallion

or the starter
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

usaully if its the starter it will just click and wont turn over thats what i no from experience but if it is the starter take it off urself n by one i dont no what brand is good for these cars. if u take it somewhere they will charge u a pretty penny for labor thats why i just try to do everything myself
Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

If the starter is bad, it may not even click at all. If it does click, you can usually keep trying to turn it over to get it to go. If you charged the battery and the car fired right up, Its not the starter, the starter would display the same problems even with a fully charged battery.

E.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
SlvRgT

Yeah, it doesnt turnover at all...the gauges go crazy though, but i think it just might be the starter...i feel ya bout doing everything urself, my intake cracked not long ago, but i managed to do it myself, thank god for the internet...alrighty, well thanks man....later
ORIGINAL: sleeping stallion

usaully if its the starter it will just click and wont turn over thats what i no from experience but if it is the starter take it off urself n by one i dont no what brand is good for these cars. if u take it somewhere they will charge u a pretty penny for labor thats why i just try to do everything myself
Old 10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
sleeping stallion
4th Gear Member

most of the time it wont click but sometimes u might get lucky n its just clicking n its almost ready to go out. i dont no how hard it is to chnage it i changed it on a 1990 corvette n it was kinda hard and i changed it on a sentra seR and on a honda and a couple more but i think that it will be the started if it was the alternater it would more than likely just whine like wanna turn

Quick Reply: Car wont start.....