4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newbie that needs some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:21 AM
GT_Bob
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie that needs some opinions

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

Well i dont know where peopel get the notion that Cold Air Inductions are worthless - that is simply not true and frankly ignorant... put on CAI and tell me you don't notice a difference - its the best 50 bucks you can spend. However yes a gear 4.10 or 4.30 - I have a 4.10 and im a 5spd I love it - the truth about gears is : there are people with 4.10's and people who wish they had 4.10's - those who can't afford them or were pussies and got 3.73's talk smack all the time - 4.10's nothing less! - a turbo or a supercharger will run you about 4-5 grand - so id go turbo they are faster - thats what I am currently doing. I also have longtubes - they are bad *** sound a nice little gain - but the fact is that all the bolt ons won't make you "fast" - your talking maybe pulling few cars with every bolt on imaginable .. so don't expect too much - that said I find the bolt ons very "worth it" and a good gain for that amount of money you spend - if you want to be quazi "fast" - don't buy anything - save up and do a forced induction. - congrats on the car - every thing else remotly close to our price range is ugly

I'm not normally the type of person to call Bull **** on someone, but, I'll make an exception for this post.....................

I'll take this one step at a time.

$50 for a CAI? Don't tell me you're buying that junk on E-Bay. The only true CAI's are made out of non-heat conductive materials and draw the intake air from outside of the engine compartment.

With an auto, you will most likely not notice the difference between 4.10's and 3.73's in a daily driver. With an auto, you have slippage caused by the pressure plates and the torque converter. The ratio difference between these two gear's are insagnificant with an auto daily driver.

FI is exspensive. Bottom line. Cheap horsepower belongs to the supercharger. The kits aren't exspensive and your stock motor will handle them with conservative tuning. If you want the best, twin turbos is the way to go with a hi-po daily driver. The kits are damn near twice that of a supercharger and you'll need to invest in some serious internal components for you poor little N/A GT motor.

JMO, and I'll have another beer.

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 11-01-2006, 03:55 AM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

1. tuner
2. gears
3. stall
Old 11-01-2006, 03:56 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78
that is simply not true and frankly ignorant... put on CAI and tell me you don't notice a difference
I put on a CAI and I didn't notice a difference
Old 11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

I'm in your boat man, so I'll share what I have.

I too am a 98 auto. I have 4.30 gears, shift kit, stall, and outside of the intake manifold, full exhaust with no cats.the only under hood mod I have is dropping in a K&N filter and removing the air silencer (which I did today in about 3 minutes). What I've got gives you quite a kick in the pants IMO and well worth the money. Probably not much for HP increase, but enough to have fun until you can afford F/I or whatever else route you plan to take.