4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newbie that needs some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Outlaw GT

Default Newbie that needs some opinions

What up all!!! I finaly got myself in a 2001 Mustang GT convertible in an automatic and I'm in dire need of some help in the performance department. Since I'm new to the mustang game, where would be a good place to start? What did you all do to your stangs in the beginning that wasn't too much of a dent to your pockets or what was the thing that gave you the mst bang for your buck. Also too, I know I have an auto, but what am I looking at if I wanted to go with some type of forced induction? Supercharger or turbo? Do they even make a turbo kit for an auto?

I know that was a lot to swallow in for of questions but I'm a newb and don't know when to shut my mouth. Anyway any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 09:01 PM
built54
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie that needs some opinions

A sct tuner would be good, raise and firm your shifts, a little more power, and its not that expensive.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:06 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: built54

A sct tuner would be good, raise and firm your shifts, a little more power, and its not that expensive.
Do that and gears, 4:10's with an auto
Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

ORIGINAL: built54

Do that and gears, 4:10's with an auto
+1 on the gears. Don't expect anything special out of the little mods though. CAI is worthless, exhaust makes it sound cool, but performance gains are questionable. Gear install prices vary a lot too. Make a LOT of calls and get a LOT of prices. Your best bet would be to have it done at a speed shop.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:25 PM
03sixbanger
Ryan's Backup Mod

[sm=nxsmile.gif]
Old 10-31-2006, 09:30 PM
meyerj88
2nd Gear Member

i'd get gears, a tune, and exhaust first. then i'd save for a supercharger. more bang for your buck w/ a supercharger.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:32 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Well i dont know where peopel get the notion that Cold Air Inductions are worthless - that is simply not true and frankly ignorant... put on CAI and tell me you don't notice a difference - its the best 50 bucks you can spend. However yes a gear 4.10 or 4.30 - I have a 4.10 and im a 5spd I love it - the truth about gears is : there are people with 4.10's and people who wish they had 4.10's - those who can't afford them or were pussies and got 3.73's talk smack all the time - 4.10's nothing less! - a turbo or a supercharger will run you about 4-5 grand - so id go turbo they are faster - thats what I am currently doing. I also have longtubes - they are bad *** sound a nice little gain - but the fact is that all the bolt ons won't make you "fast" - your talking maybe pulling few cars with every bolt on imaginable .. so don't expect too much - that said I find the bolt ons very "worth it" and a good gain for that amount of money you spend - if you want to be quazi "fast" - don't buy anything - save up and do a forced induction. - congrats on the car - every thing else remotly close to our price range is ugly
Old 10-31-2006, 09:40 PM
built54
1st Gear Member

+1
Old 10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Best advice...get parts that you wont have to go and sell off or get rid of later...if your wantin f/i in the future, stick with exhaust and gears, a tuner wouldnt hurt either (but some superchargers/turbos come with their own tune so its your choice)...build the car for what your looking for in the end...you'll prevent excessive denting of the wallet in the long run

As for supercharger vs. turbo...that'll get mixed reviews...basically there is no right answer, it depends on what you want but you'll go farther with a turbo as far as horsepower numbers and streetability...but nothing says bad @ss like the whine of a supercharger (need info for those? https://mustangforums.com/m_826401/tm.htm) happy hunting
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Id get the Longtubes and full exhaust, gears, tuner, shifter. Then save up for the Kenne Bell.

Quick Reply: Newbie that needs some opinions