4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Special tool for removing gauge needle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:35 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Special tool for removing gauge needle?

Ok, I like the looks of my white face gauges, but one thing really annoys me. Whoever put them on (stickon type) did not line up anything and they are about as cheap as they come. In the daytime I can see through them to the old numbers behind and they have some serious bubbles. I want to remove them. Would I need a special tool to remove the needles? I know to make note of exactly where the needles are. I figured I'd remove each sticker one at a time and reinstall the needle before moving to the next one. I do want white faced gauges, but not these el cheapos. So for now I'm wanting to go back to stock until I get my reverse glow gauge faces...

Any suggestions or pointers? If you know where there is a tech article for this, please lemme know. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Special tool for removing gauge needle?

I would buy a set off guages from upr, and slide those over your current set up. I have the silver reverse glow gauges and reall like them. You don't have to take the needles off to put the upr ones on. Here is the link: Gauges You cant see through them and it would solve your problem.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:16 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

The needles just pull right off. Do yourself a favor. When you go to put everything back together, just plug in the cluster and start your car, wait for it to idle and get to operating tempature and make sure all your needles are where they're supposed to be. That's the best way to make sure that everything is lined up and reading right. And then you can put the glass back on and screw it into place.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:12 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You can use a fork to pop off the needles. Take a pic of your gauges so you can reinstall them correctly (with the car running and at temp). The speedo is a bit harder. You can leave the clear plastic off and drive on the freeway next to a friend and set the cruise control and have him tell you your speed and put the needle back on.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 AM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

do what i did... find a Bullitt gauge cluster off of a salvage yard site and switch the guages off of your stocker so the PATS system doesnt freak out. it looks bad ***... you can even do the same thing with the cobra white faced gauges, except you would have a higher redline
Old 11-01-2006, 03:43 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Well, I have to remove the white faces that are on there now before buying anything else to install over them. I do like the reverseglo gauges. My cousin Im starting to find out is an idiot, I think. He said he bought the entire cluster because it is a Saleen cluster. But it doesnt say Saleen anywhere on it, and the faces are bubbled up bad and not lined up at all. Plus if they were Saleen factory gauges, you wouldnt be able to see behind them. And since the faces arent lined up right, the needles dont read right. Luckily I can see through them and can tell the true readings. I think I'm just going back to stock for now until I can get some more. Can I remove the speedo one without messing anything up? The speedo is off anyways due to my gears. I know my mph by rpms.

One thing i need to know is, if I do install the reverse glo faces, my needles still light up right? It's showing no lights in the pic for the needles and that sucks.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 PM
TruckStang
2nd Gear Member

They will still light up red
ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

Well, I have to remove the white faces that are on there now before buying anything else to install over them. I do like the reverseglo gauges. My cousin Im starting to find out is an idiot, I think. He said he bought the entire cluster because it is a Saleen cluster. But it doesnt say Saleen anywhere on it, and the faces are bubbled up bad and not lined up at all. Plus if they were Saleen factory gauges, you wouldnt be able to see behind them. And since the faces arent lined up right, the needles dont read right. Luckily I can see through them and can tell the true readings. I think I'm just going back to stock for now until I can get some more. Can I remove the speedo one without messing anything up? The speedo is off anyways due to my gears. I know my mph by rpms.

One thing i need to know is, if I do install the reverse glo faces, my needles still light up right? It's showing no lights in the pic for the needles and that sucks.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
fallfast90
4th Gear Member

They are a pain to line up again. As mentioned earlier, use a fork to pry off the needles. Make sure that your car is warmed up before you take off the needles so that all the needle placement is at its standard spot at an idle. switch them up, wire them in, and place them back in. It may take a couple trys to get the rpm and speedo needles perfect again. I had to have one of my buddies clock me with a radar gun to make sure my speedo was right,lol.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:16 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03mustgt

I would buy a set off guages from upr, and slide those over your current set up. I have the silver reverse glow gauges and reall like them. You don't have to take the needles off to put the upr ones on. Here is the link: Gauges You cant see through them and it would solve your problem.

The directions on their website say that you need to remove the needles in order to install. Were you able to do it without removing them? I really like the white look! Also what is the difference between the 'reverse glow' and 'EL Glow' on their a/c faceplates? does anybody have these? any pics??
Old 11-01-2006, 04:35 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

You need to do something about the speedo... Spend the $100 and get a Speedcal.. It's not only your speedo that is off, your mileage will rack up rather quickly as well.

Quick Reply: Special tool for removing gauge needle?