4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clearcoat peeling off of new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Gene4.6L

Default RE: Clearcoat peeling off of new wheels

Thats what I would do that way they can look like mine (Flakey). lol

Also how did you get the picture of your car on there? I would like to post the pic of the flakey wheel so people can see it.
I keep trying to upload but it says the file is to large.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

It's a common problem... I've noticed this from AFS wheels and mustangtuning rims. They look identical (minus centers) so that leads me to believe they both have the same manufacture and are really the same rims... My AFS deep dish also did this and the only way to fix it is to refinish the rims (high-grit sand paper and clearcoat). The rims do have a one year Manuf. warrenty on the finish so you can send them back but loose out on your shipping charges... I decided to just get rid of the rims. I will be buy another set from them but will be buying the painted rims with the purpose of powercoating. The rims are very well put together but the finish is what they skimp on to save in the price......

Hope it helps...

If you choose to refinish, Wet sand the lip making sure not to hit the painted suface (if any) and use a the best clear coat your can....

Here is a Post I posted a few weeks ago that elplain a very good method refinishing the pollished lip on a rim... Watch your fingers and pull the valve stem if its in your way...

You have nice aluminum wheels with a polished lip.
Re-Polishing the Lip

Materials:
Sand Paper 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000
Aluminum polish (I like Mother’s)
Paint remover.
Clean Rags
Pail of water
Tools:
Jack
Stands
File (if you have dents or nicks to smooth out)
Procedure:
1. Clean the wheels
2. Smooth out any severe nicks with a file
3. Jack up a front corner where you want to start polishing. Support with jack-stand and chock rear wheels.
4. With Back wheels completely off the ground, start the engine and release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. The wheel that is off the ground will begin to spin at a couple hundred rpm’s. CAUTION! You have created the equivalent of a lathe. Treat it with the respect you would any power tool. Watch out for air valve stem. Mine our out of the way enough so that I could polish underneath, but it smarts when is smacks you in the knuckles.
5. Usually the lip is sealed with clear-coat. You will need to remove it if you want to polish the lip. With a rag, carefully apply paint remover to the rim lip. DO NOT allow the paint remover to come in contact with the painted sections of the wheel or you will destroy the finish. Within a couple minutes the clear-coat will start to flake off. Apply another coating or two of paint remover to be sure you get all the clear-coat off. Stop the engine and inspect to be sure. If patches remain it will slow the polishing process. If you are not comfortable using the paint remover, start sanding with a coarser grit sandpaper. It will take a little longer but you should achieve the same results.
6. Sand the spinning wheel starting with 400 grit sandpaper and proceed all the way up to 1500 or 2000. Keep the paper wet or it will get hot and tear.
7. Finish with aluminum polish on a rag and then a clean dry rag. At this point the wheel lip should have a brilliant shine. If you want, you can apply a fresh coating of clear-coat.
8. Repeat for the opposite wheel. Exchange the front wheels with the rear wheels and repeat. You probably needed to rotate you tires anyway.
Prevention

Hope it helps
Mike
sxynerd
Old 11-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Gene4.6L

At least I am not the only one that has had this problem like that nut case lady told me on the phone. Right now mine are still under warranty so I will just keep replacing them or I will get my money back. I will try your method on some other wheels that I have and get them looking good again.
Thanks for the info and knowing that there is a problem out there with the wheels.

But How do I get pictures on this post?
I have not figured out how to do that yet and still trying.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

when you hit the reply or post at the bottom left there is a "Click here to upload!" and a box that says to embed picture in post. Click it and send it. Another way is to post your picture to a pic domain site like cardomain.com click your picture properties and copy the URL and then in your message Click "IMAGE" and paste the URL between the second and third bracket. (between the close] and the [open). hope it helps...

Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 03:09 AM
so1o2k3
4th Gear Member

My friend works at a powdercoating/body shop and he said that factory rim manufacturers use a special kind of clear coat on rims that is hard to duplicate. He says that customers who get wheels powdercoated and cleared for refinishing usually come back in about a month because the brake dust eats through the clear coat. Has your wheels been exposed to a good amount of brake dust? Just an idea...
Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Gene4.6L

No brake dust. I keep them and the car really clean. And the one that is doing it is on the rear and only has a few hundred miles on it.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Fine99
1st Gear Member

I have the same wheels you do and the same problem. I don't have pics, but you can imagine what it looks like. Do nto polish the wheels! You will regret it. It is terribly labor intensive. I don't have the option of sending mine back as it it my daily driver. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but, the outer rim is typically forged aluminum and very hard. It will not polish easily by hand. Plus, when you polish, it only takes off more clear coat. If it is intolerable, take the wheel to a shop to have it professionally painted. The prob with aerosol clear coats is that some are not "clear". you may get a yellow tint which will be worse.