4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clearcoat peeling off of new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 12:48 AM
MEM 302 5.0L
3rd Gear Member

Default Clearcoat peeling off of new wheels

I bought a brand new set of wheels and tires from Mustangtuning.com ( Black Deep Dish Bullitts) and have had no luck with them. The clear coat starts flaking off of the polished lip on the wheels after about a month of use. The support tech told me that I need to be polishing them or they will do that. I have never heard of having to do that to a new set of wheels, has anyone else purchased any from them or having that problem? They act like it is my fault and that I am doing something wrong and I am the only one in the entire world having that problem, IF so what am I doing wrong. Should I not ever wash them and just let them stay filthy dirty or what??

Po'd customer of mustangtuning.com
Old 11-01-2006, 12:57 AM
thornton02GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Clearcoat peeling off of new wheels

ive never heard of having to polish them constantly.....sounds like you got ripped off and they are trying to blame it on you : /
Old 11-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Gene4.6L

That exactly what they are trying to do. But what is funny, one of the replacements that they sent me was already doing the same thing and it was still in the box. They never explained that to me, I just had to send it back again....
Old 11-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

what the hell?

either the same person or someone is copying and pasting someone else's posts

https://mustangforums.com/m_2189417/tm.htm

same freaking words......
Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 AM
Gene4.6L

I used my sons account to start the post and did not realize it so I reposted on my account. Sorry, Just wanted to get some info before I get screwed on my wheels.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene4.6L

I used my sons account to start the post and did not realize it so I reposted on my account. Sorry, Just wanted to get some info before I get screwed on my wheels.

that would explain it

you do NOT have to polish them to keep the clearcoat on them

i say take pics...send em in..if u havent....and talk to someone else
Old 11-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Gene4.6L

I have done that, and now they are looking into what I might have done wrong. The pics clearly show the flaking, but they are saying it is something that I have done to clean them. I have not used any kind of cleaner period. I have only washed them at the car wash and thats it. Thats when the lady said you mean you aren't polishing them and I told her that I did not know that I had to polish clear coated wheels. I thought that was the whole point of getting them with clear on them so I would not have to polish them.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene4.6L

I have done that, and now they are looking into what I might have done wrong. The pics clearly show the flaking, but they are saying it is something that I have done to clean them. I have not used any kind of cleaner period. I have only washed them at the car wash and thats it. Thats when the lady said you mean you aren't polishing them and I told her that I did not know that I had to polish clear coated wheels. I thought that was the whole point of getting them with clear on them so I would not have to polish them.
lol time to speak to someone else perhaps?

There is nuttin you could have used for cleaning purposes that would of made it flake..... remove it totally?sure but those items arent used to clean they are meant to strip.....
Old 11-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Gene4.6L

Thats what I told them. I asked them what they thought I should use and they said just about any wheel cleaner would work. Is there something at the car washes that would make them do that, is so why would I go to the car wash and wash my car if it is going to take my paint off. I think that they just got a bad batch of wheels and I was the unlucky one to get them sent to me.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I have the black bullits from mustangtuning and have had no problems with mine...and I have never polished the polished lip. Wonder if I should start doing it though? lol

Quick Reply: Clearcoat peeling off of new wheels