4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bolt-On Power for an 03 Mach....NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Apollo240

Default Bolt-On Power for an 03 Mach....NEED HELP

I have an 03 Mach 1. Its already got flowmaster cat-back on it. Im coming from a turbo import so I am unsure of things to upgrade on a N/A V8. I want to do bolt-ons only then get it tuned for all the parts I put on it. What should I do? I was thinking CAI, throttle body, throttle body space, intake spacer, intake-manifold, headers(not sure of long or short tube) mid pipes(not sure catted or test) and probably keep the flowmasters, maybe switch the mufflers out for Borlas. I want to keep the car as liveable as possible inside the car(I know that is probably not going to happen), I drive it daily, I understand with all that exhaust work I would loose gas mileage. I want to keep the shaker active, and make the car have the deepest exhaust sound as possible. I know to most people this probably seems stupid, but again, I dont know this area of the automotive world lol. Thanks in advance for any help.
John
Old 11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Quick Shot xMLx
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bolt-On Power for an 03 Mach....NEED HELP

Long tubes are the way to go. Everyone says shorties are useless.

I would get some gears + tuner. I plan on 4.10s and everyone says that it's the best N/A mod.

BTW what import scene did you come from? I used to own a GST so you're not the only ex-import here.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

I would say that for a Mach, go w/ gears, tuner, full exhaust and intake work. That will net you some power. If you want to stay away from FI and internal work there is however only so much you can do. An easy way to remedy that would be some nitrous. That is inexpensive and VERY powerful. In fact, once you tune your car for your mods, you may even see an increase in mileage. You are making more power w/ the same engine. The engine doesnt have to work as hard so it will be more efficient. The sound from the exhaust is priceless actually. Nothing is better than a well thought out exhaust.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Apollo240

I would like to try and stay away from gears and nitrous. I am not really going for a 1/4 car, I just want to bolt-on more power. I used to have a 89 240 with a 98 SR in it and tooo much done and money invested in it...kept up with a 00' CBR-600. What do you all think about the bolt-ons I was thinking about? Are you saying those with a tune would be best?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Zoie_daGT
5th Gear Member

As far as a 'fast' car to drive around, you are looking at full bolt-ons and maybe some suspension mods too. After that you would be getting into the internals or FI which you dont want to do.

Dont worry about the throttle body spacer or intake spacer or whatever, they are a waste and do nothing. Basically full bolt ons are throttle body, C.A.I, intake, and full exhaust. If you start to upgrade the suspension, you will enhance your driving experience. You could try subframe connectors, springs, and control arms to start off with. That should at least get you started.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
andrewclark
4th Gear Member

dont be afraid of gears, they wont change ur gas mileage significantly. go for some 3.73's.

im not sure if u have the same ratio as the GT's, i dont think you do.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Apollo240

Yea, the Mach comes with 3.55's. So your saying everything else other then the throttle body, and intake spacers is good? How much hp and torque is possible with those other bolt-ons?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Not to mention wheels - to get that hp on the ground.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

mach1 is already a low 13 sec car stock isnt it?? how fast was ur other car?? anyways u made a good decision getting a mustang..exhaust sound is priceless.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
Apollo240

We never figured out how fast my othe car was from a dig, only from a roll. Like I said, it kept up with bikes lol. I love my Mach, I used to hate Mustangs, b/c of the bad rep some owners in my area give them. Jackasses who think they have the biggest baddest thing around(intake and exhaust) and can beat anyone. Thats where I loved the 240, they used to laugh at me and then we would run, lol I let them go first and they still lost....bad. It was best when they would try to do it with their g/fs in the car too, but F-body owners are the same way I found too, and I still love GM. I still must say Vipers are the best to see the face after the race, something bout a 240 beating a viper just dont settle with a viper owner. Bikers are good too but you normally cant see their face. Anyways(sorry got off topic) CAI, throttle body, intake manifold, headers, mid pipes, and cat-back then a tune on all of that should give me more power? Any idea how much? As I said Im not really looking for a 1/4 car just more power I can call on at anytime and not have to refill, or spend 6,000 to come by, I would love a roots type blower, but I just dont see it happening. haha

Quick Reply: Bolt-On Power for an 03 Mach....NEED HELP